PDA

View Full Version : A good oral medication...

Guinapora
05/07/2009, 06:39 PM
Have a couple Reidi's that are being fed 2-3 times a day, but a few seem to not be gaining weight and look pinched. Not to mention their feeding response is not like the others. They eat, but are not attacking the front glass at the very sight of me.

They are captive raised, so one would think they would be clean. But it's just the one color variation that is showing this.

I've had wild seahorses that were not this problematic.

I was thinking Metronidazole for a good internal cleansing, but am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Guinapora
05/10/2009, 07:25 PM
So nothing? Not even a link?

ann83
05/10/2009, 08:39 PM
Metronidazole would be good. Praziquantel would also be, and/or Fenbendazole. I wouldn't use them all at the same time, but successive weeks would be a good idea. I like 2 meals one day a week for 3 weeks for each med, so 9 weeks total; gutloaded into brine shrimp.

Guinapora
05/11/2009, 10:04 AM
Thank you! Sadly that one variety has all died. I'm going to do this as a preventive for the rest though.

ann83
05/11/2009, 10:05 AM
Where are your seahorses from?

Guinapora
05/11/2009, 03:56 PM
Ora...

ann83
05/11/2009, 04:14 PM
The illness should have nothing to do with the color of the seahorses. The seahorses can change color, and if they're all the same species (reidi) and all from the same source (ORA), there is absolutely no reason that one color should be having more trouble than the others...

Seahorse feeding response can be impacted by a lot of variables. Among them:
* traces of ammonia or nitrite,
* nitrate readings above 20,
* pH readings below 8.3 (even by as much as 0.1 in some individuals),
* higher temperatures (varies by species and individual, but could be a possibility above 75*),
* different brands of mysis,
* thawed/refrozen/microwaved/warmed or otherwise not recently thawed mysis,
* tankmates with fast or erratic swimming patterns, etc.
* other recent changes in tank parameters, equipment, or inhabitants...

The reaction to each of these things varies from individual to individual, so if something is "amiss" not all of the seahorses will necessarily show signs as some are more tolerant than others, or react in less noticeable ways to stressors.