PDA

View Full Version : Can I get the 411 on mangroves in a fuge

ser_renely
05/07/2009, 06:49 PM
Is there a trick to them, what are peoples view on them, and any care tips?

Thinking about adding one to my fuge to help

Thanks,
Ser

ser_renely
06/13/2009, 12:54 PM
^

eb8919
06/13/2009, 01:06 PM
I had researched this same thing with great interest a few months back with hopes of growing a few in my nano. However since then my nano has crashed and i'm onto bigger things, just havent had a chance to try this. From what i remember, the best way to approach it is to get a few starter pods and begin floating them in the area you want them to grow. Eventually the roots grow down and foot themselves into rock.
They continue to grow and establish more leaves. Removing leaves is the actual nutrient export as the leaves are what is uptaking the nutrients.
I read that eventually you can get one large mangrove that can effectively export nutrients.
How ever I also read that it takes a very long time to establish an effective plant that will show any measurable/noticeable benefits. The growth rate is slow. Also if the plant grows to large the roots are capable of cracking the glass of an aquarium.
The leaves need to be sprayed and kept moist. Thats all i can remember for now...if i find the link that i found most of my info from ill post it.

ser_renely
06/13/2009, 01:12 PM
ahhh thank you for your insight. :)

hmmm, sounds more high maintnance then I expected, and compared to chaeto.

eb8919
06/13/2009, 01:15 PM
Ya they require much higher maintenance from what i understand. And you don't see benefits for awhile. I would imagine once you get one solid plant established it becomes much easier to maintain and very worth the effort put in.