PDA

View Full Version : 220 Gallon New Setup

narwal
05/07/2009, 07:01 PM
Hi,
Moving from a 60 gallon to a new 220 gallon. I'll set it up with a 40 gallon slow flow fuge with algae, DSB and mud with magroves, as well as a 60 gallon wet/dry modified sump: no bio balls, just media filter for particulate and live rock. Massive skimmer does the rest.

My question is about the sand bed. With my 60 I started with all live sand. Since I plan to cycle and let the tank run without any livestock at all for at least 3-4 months, can I use an alternative to live sand and seed it with some live sand as well as sand from my existing tank?

What type of sand media would be the best for this. I like the white sand look. The point of all this is to save some money by not using 100% live sand, and let the cycle and long maturation time without livestock allow the bacteria and micro organisms lots of time to develop.

I've heard that a lot of the good stuff in the sand bed an on live rock gets eaten up if you don't let it flourish to the point where the introduction of livestock and especially cleaners pretty much wipe it out.

Your comments will be greatly appreciate.
Thanks (tanks).

Justin1989
05/07/2009, 07:08 PM
A lot of people suggest aragonite. There is live aragonite, and just regular I do believe.

Also there should be sand at any LFS with just regular (non-live) sand.

I am not sure if play sand or any of that sort will work, but others will let you know since I can not help exactly.

narwal
05/07/2009, 07:17 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the input. I'm not looking to totally cheap out on the sand, just find the best alternative to live sand. Since I plan to let it mature and develop the bactera for a long time, I don't think there is any need to spend twice as much for 100% live sand, since I figure it will all be live given enough time.

Thanks