PDA

View Full Version : Aquascaping (stacking rocks) advise needed

Reefbox
05/07/2009, 07:02 PM
I'm planning on building some vertical pillars, edges and ledges from smaller pieces of live rock.

What is the easiest way for me to hold the rock together and keep it together? I'm thinking about driling the rock and inserting some type of peg into the rock. What should I use for a pegs?

Thanks

Flipper62
05/07/2009, 07:52 PM
Some people have posted here that they used fiberglass rods the ones that you get from home depot that are used for driveway markers.

I just use the 2 part epoxy putty to hold the rocks. I just use a very small amount. Just enough to keep the rock in place, this way if I want to move it later it comes apart with just a twist.

nikon187
05/07/2009, 08:56 PM
look into acrylic rods to stack your rocks after drilling. Check under plastics in the yellow pages and i'm sure you will find somewhere that has acrylic

Blazer88
05/07/2009, 09:28 PM
I used 3/8" acrylic rods and they worked out great. I used a cheap masonry bit from Lowes for the drilling.

Flipper62
05/07/2009, 09:54 PM
I dont know if you have ever heard of a place called McMaster-Carr. Its a industrial supply place. www.mcmaster.com

They have all kinds of plastic / acrylic rods.

FutureBoyGenius
05/08/2009, 12:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14972218#post14972218 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flipper62
Some people have posted here that they used fiberglass rods the ones that you get from home depot that are used for driveway markers.

I just use the 2 part epoxy putty to hold the rocks. I just use a very small amount. Just enough to keep the rock in place, this way if I want to move it later it comes apart with just a twist.

I had great success with the fiberglass reflector rods. Just use a masonry bit to drill the holes. The holes are loose enough so that I can move the rocks anytime I desire.

Good luck.

becact
05/08/2009, 03:47 AM
For a rock that is simply precariously balanced or that doesn't have much contact with the rock below (like a small rock used as a ledge), I use epoxy between the contact points, and zip tie the rocks together overnight to give the epoxy a chance to dry completely. Once it's dry you can remove the tie and it will hold quite well!

Amp2020
05/08/2009, 03:44 PM
how about using nylon screws to insert into the holes? Just cut off the head and you have a nice strong ribbed rod. Should hold well and not slip out.

Reefbox
05/09/2009, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the ideas.

I'll be doing some experimenting soon.

darkdruid
05/09/2009, 09:38 AM
The thick plastic coat hangers work great too. Super cheap and easy to cut.