PDA

View Full Version : Things I learned* from my last reef tank. (* the hard way)

Newreeflady
05/07/2009, 07:19 PM
1) If I can't reach it easily, I won't clean it. (read: my tank became disgusting and my pumps are so gunked up with calcium deposits that flow is impeded.)

2) Don't dump calcium into the system if you're not willing to keep up with the measurements (I just pulled out my sump and the calcium deposits are making me wonder how resistant silicone is to hydrochloric acid.

3) If you have a hole anywhere in your canopy, do not put in wrasses. It's not fair to the poor dried up wrasses!

4) If an anemone looks bad, don't move it to a brand new system and also
Anemone vs Powerhead: The powerhead will win.

5) Don't let a peristaltic pump run dry- good luck getting the dried up calcium residue out of the lines, and have a fun time re-priming.

6) If you're going to build a make-shift canopy, make sure you can reach into the tank with it on or that you build a door.

7) More/bigger is not always better. I should've gone with an OM Squirt with the 2-way barrel, or at least shrunk down the output diameters more- flow was very disperse with 4 outputs to 3/4" each, not much real push.

8) I'm tired of building high hoods for metal halides- they just look silly and disproportionate on tiny tanks!

9) The novelty of a new shaped tank really does wear off [b/]; there is a reason a rectangle is still the most popular shape!

10) [b]You can spend a ton of money setting up a system, but if you don't take care of it it's eventually going to go to ****.

Ultimate lesson: I was better with nano systems: less cleaning, less water to haul, less space between the small amount of coral I can afford, everything is easy to reach. My most fond memories are of my 2.5g and my 10g tanks.

So, WHAT DID YOU LEARN?

jungliztkruger
05/07/2009, 07:47 PM
i think i need to add one more

11) Don't take advice from highschoolers working at franchise pet stores. the skilter will work like crap. lol

username in use
05/07/2009, 08:25 PM
haha, I was told all I needed for salt water was a skilter. bull freakin crap

Agu
05/07/2009, 08:42 PM
It's in my sig,

Less Technology, More Biology

Newreeflady
05/07/2009, 08:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14972612#post14972612 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Agu
It's in my sig,

Nice!! I will try to keep repeating this mantra;)

cartoonbear
05/07/2009, 08:54 PM
Acrylic scrathes too easy

24" tank height is too deep for my arms

Be very picky about what goes into the tank

Ro/di is a must

Don't let ur friend at the lfs set up a tank for you

Only buy the really pretty corals, brown isn't so hot looking

fufu
05/08/2009, 12:37 AM
Research before I buy.

Dont buy a cheap skimmer.

Miasma_F
05/08/2009, 05:46 AM
PH does not have to be exact - do not keep adding PH buffer as it will screw up your chemistry balance

L98-Z
05/08/2009, 06:15 AM
I've never had a nano, but I can understand the part about not cleaning what you can't reach. My 180 is in a corner, and I can't reach quite a few areas. Now I'm upgrading to a 300 and it's 30" tall, leaving me with more areas I can't reach.

Sometimes I wish I went nano, they're so much easier to do the upkeep.

villious
05/08/2009, 09:58 AM
1. Put the sump under the stand BEFORE you fill the display tank up with water. It's hard to get a 36" sump through a 20" wide door :-/

2. Reciprocating saws are awesome (see #1)

hyperfocal
05/08/2009, 12:19 PM
Tall stands (with tall doors) let you easily add tall equipment.

An ugly sump that is easy to remove and clean is much better than a fancy sump that doesn't fit through the stand doors.

Controllers aren't foolproof.

Redundancy is a good thing.

Don't trust the LFS. Research it yourself BEFORE buying.

DE bulbs take up a LOT less room in a canopy.

Acrylic tanks scratch way to easily for me.

Yes, I need more flow.

Additional effort put into something now, that makes things easier later is a very good investment.

The more PVC unions used, the happier my future self will be.

I don't have to buy the most expensive, but I should never buy the cheapest.

Never buy a frag that isn't encrusting the plug.

Check calibrations on refractometer and pH probe regularly.

Shop-vacs are really useful.

A single overflow drain is a flood that hasn't happened yet.

Sugar Magnolia
05/08/2009, 12:38 PM
When you want to move a piece of LR just alittle bit means that you end up reaquascaping the entire tank.

GSP will take over your tank. Same for mushrooms and xenia.

Reefer08
05/08/2009, 01:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14972612#post14972612 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Agu
It's in my sig,

I don't agree with you on this!

Technology will only help you automate tasks and be aware of what biologically is going on in your tank.

The more technology involved in a reef aquarium equals more stability of water parameters. We all know that the key to a healthy reef is stable water parameters.

Rich D
05/08/2009, 02:15 PM
I don't agree with you on this! Technology will only help you automate tasks and be aware of what biologically is going on in your tank. The more technology involved in a reef aquarium equals more stability of water parameters. We all know that the key to a healthy reef is stable water parameters.

since when do you need to have technology to have good parameters?

SirVilhelm
05/08/2009, 02:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14975143#post14975143 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by villious
1. Put the sump under the stand BEFORE you fill the display tank up with water. It's hard to get a 36" sump through a 20" wide door :-/

2. Reciprocating saws are awesome (see #1)

I would never put a sump into a stand you cannot easily remove. You're asking for trouble when/if that thing leaks.

cartoonbear
05/08/2009, 02:37 PM
I dunno about u but I need lights powerheads and a skimmer. Pretty sure I'd have all kinds of problems without those. Oh and ro/di helps too. Oh and salt mix. Other than that I think I'm fine...oh and a chiller :)

cartoonbear
05/08/2009, 02:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14976622#post14976622 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SirVilhelm
I would never put a sump into a stand you cannot easily remove. You're asking for trouble when/if that thing leaks.

Exactly why I've tried to make the center of my new stand removable.

mixer911
05/08/2009, 03:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14975993#post14975993 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sugar Magnolia
When you want to move a piece of LR just alittle bit means that you end up reaquascaping the entire tank.

GSP will take over your tank. Same for mushrooms and xenia.

This is so true..... Now I acrylic rod the rocks and NO GSP, Shrooms or non skeletal corals in my tank, lol

Newreeflady
05/08/2009, 05:08 PM
Shop-vacs are really useful.

A single overflow drain is a flood that hasn't happened yet.

Whoa, that's a scary thought! I'm drilling my new one for sure!

46FiatYamaha
05/08/2009, 05:24 PM
don't buy cheap test kits, I've recently had a cheap brand calcium test, I've recently had a pump seize from calcium buildup when the test said it was fine (double checked with salifert and it was too high)

kookerson
05/08/2009, 05:57 PM
You know, when I was in the military, we use to travel ALOT. Everytime we travelled, we had this log we kept notes in to track our mistakes and things that we had forgotten. And every time we went somewhere, we updated it......this thread should be a sticky for newbies, and updated in the same method, I think.

Ehaze
05/08/2009, 06:44 PM
Buy a controller and a calcium reactor... and a ATO.... best thing you can do..

Agu
05/08/2009, 07:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14976367#post14976367 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefer08
I don't agree with you on this!

Technology will only help you automate tasks and be aware of what biologically is going on in your tank.

The more technology involved in a reef aquarium equals more stability of water parameters. We all know that the key to a healthy reef is stable water parameters.

The stability on real reefs is fleeting at best, with an upswell temps/parameters can change in seconds.

I don't need technology to tell me if my tanks are OK, visual observation is a powerful and under rated tool. One of the best days in my reefing hobby was the day I sold my pH meter. I learned to stop chasing numbers and let the fish/corals tell me if they had an appropriate environment.

Appropriate stocking is the best tool we have for a successful reef tank. Technology can offset poor biological choices, until the technology fails :rolleyes: .

barraganbp1
05/08/2009, 09:01 PM
This tread is awsome!

ATO Best thing to happen to my tank lately.

L98-Z
05/08/2009, 09:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14976508#post14976508 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bubbles129129

You don't, you just need technology to accurately measure them.

Henry Bowman
05/08/2009, 09:59 PM
Sooner or later, it's gonna leak !

sabalough
05/09/2009, 01:24 AM
Always have a backup!!
spare pump,lights,heaters,and plenty of salt and ro/di.

L98-Z
05/09/2009, 04:36 AM
-If something can/will go wrong, it'll do so while you're on vacation/business trip.

salty joe
05/09/2009, 06:01 AM
Keep a dated log of every addition, every water change, every water test result, every death, new equipment etc.

Reefer08
05/11/2009, 07:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14976508#post14976508 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bubbles129129

Ill give you some examples.

Auto Top Off - Will add ro/di with the smallest amount of evaporation that has occured. Which equals stable salinity.

Aquarium Controller - Stable temp. Will turn on heater with .01 below set point and turn on fan or chiller with .01 degree above set point. I never trust heaters as they are highly prone to failure so an external controller is a must for them. Some chillers have a dual temp. controller that you plug your heater into so thats a safe option.

Calcium Reactor or 2-Part Doser - Stable Alkalinity/Calcium. This will be adding Alk/Cal constantly with every drop from effluent it puts in the sump. Sure you can do manual 2 part dosing but is that stable? NO its not. It may be stable from a day to day basis but not on an hourly or minute basis.

Skimmer - This is an essential piece of equipment that will give you good water parameters and oxygenate your water. No other piece of equipment can remove the amount of dissolved organic compounds such as a skimmer. Yes you can do water changes to reduce nitrate & phosphates but its not as efficient as a skimmer.

Gdevine
05/11/2009, 08:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14978148#post14978148 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Agu

I don't need technology to tell me if my tanks are OK, visual observation is a powerful and under rated tool. One of the best days in my reefing hobby was the day I sold my pH meter. I learned to stop chasing numbers and let the fish/corals tell me if they had an appropriate environment.

Yes, I totally agree with this statement; can't remember the last time I tested my water. That being said, I change out 12g's on a 65g display weekly and run a 35g fuge Ecosystem Method and dose an excellent One Step each night with RO/DI, skim somewhat aggressive and my tank thrives!

True; visual observation does it for me and it's worked if you maintain your tank correctly.

laugh
05/11/2009, 09:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14993830#post14993830 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gdevine
Yes, I totally agree with this statement; can't remember the last time I tested my water. That being said, I change out 12g's on a 65g display weekly and run a 35g fuge Ecosystem Method and dose an excellent One Step each night with RO/DI, skim somewhat aggressive and my tank thrives!

True; visual observation does it for me and it's worked if you maintain your tank correctly.
Without testing your water params what do you do when your tank tells you something is wrong? Start guessing? I mean it would be a little late to break out the test kits to see where you're at. Sure you would know if something is way out of whack. My point is you should keep your params where your tank is happy and KNOW what these are so when your tanks shows signs of stress you can test and see what is out of normal for your tank.

Gdevine
05/11/2009, 11:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14994499#post14994499 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by laugh
Without testing your water params what do you do when your tank tells you something is wrong? Start guessing? I mean it would be a little late to break out the test kits to see where you're at. Sure you would know if something is way out of whack. My point is you should keep your params where your tank is happy and KNOW what these are so when your tanks shows signs of stress you can test and see what is out of normal for your tank.

All I can tell you is this; every time over the past years I tested my water all parameters are in line...I've never seen it where they were not. And why should it? I do 48g WC's with natural sea water monthly (12g's weekly), use RO/DI with one of the best one steps on the market, skim aggressively, run UV and GFO...and watch the tank very carefully.

Never had a problem...and again why should I? I maintain excellent husbandry. Could something go wrong? Sure, but it hasen't yet and I give credit to the way the tank is managed and close observation.

laugh
05/12/2009, 12:30 AM
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying you should have to test all the time. Just saying you should know what normal parameters for your tank are. That way if your tank doesn't look quite right you will know even if something is just slightly out of normal.

Sardaukar
05/12/2009, 02:16 AM
Its far, far, far easier to put something into your tank than to take it back out.

Don't underestimate upkeep costs. Between salt, gourmet frozen food, electricity, cooling, new snails, additives, replacement bulbs and the odd piece of malfunctioning equipment, you can easily spend several hundred dollars a month on a medium sized tank purely on upkeep.

InsaneClownFish
05/12/2009, 04:30 AM
The stability on real reefs is fleeting at best, with an upswell temps/parameters can change in seconds.

Appropriate stocking is the best tool we have for a successful reef tank. Technology can offset poor biological choices, until the technology fails .

Very well said. +1

Newreeflady
05/12/2009, 06:17 PM
Adding to the list:

stop spending so much money!

I should have gone to T5 a long time ago instead of a chiller.

don't be a wuss if you are even remotely thinking about drilling, do it! I always regretted not drilling my corner tank.

Don't cover up an algae problem with a massive algae eater. It doesn't fix the problem, just covers it up; the green hair algae will probably come back as some less appealing form later.

Tangs grow fast that is all.

A.VOID
05/12/2009, 08:07 PM
- Just bite the bullet and buy the lights you really SHOULD have ... I went through 3 too many.

OwenInAZ
05/12/2009, 09:15 PM
1. Don't cheap out on equipment at the beginning. Go with good stuff at the outset to avoid buying three of everything.

2. Be satisfied with the equipment you have. Don't go chasing the newest and best if what you have is working fine.

3. KISS! I'm definitely in the "less technology, more biology" camp. Remember, a poor craftsman blames his tools. The technology in my tank consists of a skimmer and (soon), an ATO. More equipment = more things that will break down at some point. Keep up on water testing, dose as necessary. The corals and other livestock will tell you if something is wrong. A doser won't prevent things from going wrong, although it may cause a false sense of security :)

4. Almost forgot. Get a leakfrog.

sabalough
05/12/2009, 11:47 PM
Say no to: GSP,Yellow polyps,xenia,kenya tree,etc........!!!!

The #1 rule of reefing:

Only bad things happen fast,Take it slow. Make small changes one at a time.

When you have sucess, Harvest frags and spread them around freely. Good will with local reefers = a fast recovery in the event of disaster.

Newreeflady
05/25/2009, 11:21 AM
More:

1) Plan for actinics in the beginning- otherwise you'll be tempted to leave the main light on too long, and also you'll miss watching it for much of the day.

2) Practice wood cutting on cheap wood before trying to do beveled cuts on good stuff.

3) Use threaded pvc if you can for any non-torque applications. It's reusable (I have a bunch of pieces that are glued and aren't useful for my new setup- what a waste!)

Joshsmit56001
05/25/2009, 02:31 PM
1)Don't Take Criticism the Wrong Way, us veterans are only trying to help

2)Never put any damsel in a community tank, they are mean SOB's

3)Buy a 2 clowns at the same time if you want a pair, it is easier this way

4)Put a small powerhead in your sump, this will help keep it clean of detritus

5)You can never have too much salt :)

6)Don't glue PVC until you do a dry fit, it is really hard to get apart after it is glued

7)You will always want a bigger tank (Well most of us). My 150 is looking a little small already.

8)Join a local reef society if one is nearby, it can be a huge resource of knowledge and help.

aquaman67
05/25/2009, 03:18 PM
#9 got me. I went back to a normal shaped tank.

Newreeflady
05/25/2009, 03:22 PM
Josh, good stuff! I agree on the powerhead in sump thing- I'm gonna "implement" this in my new one!

:)

dudley moray
05/25/2009, 06:21 PM
#5 research research research and then double check
#4 water changes:the solution to polution is dilution !
#3 all the fancy gadgets in the world won't save you or your tank
#2 PATIENCE
#1 there is no such thing as too much filtration

arctictwist
05/26/2009, 03:50 AM
#1 research the fish before you stock your tank...gettin that blue velvet damsel out because he killed every single new fish i got, was a nightmare. EVERY bit of the 55 lbs of rock i had in my 30 gallon tank came out that night...

#2 NEVER use a siphon overflow...drill your tanks or buy them RR, that one extra day because your to busy, will be your last day before you have a flood. especially when your ATO equals half of your DT volume...

#3, simply telling your tank sitter what to do is not good enough. They need a day by day check list with everything pre mesured out in separate cups...from food to dosing chemicals. "oh sry, they just looked so cute when they all scuried for the food"

#4 you will always have a favorite member of your tank, and when that tank comes down youll be really sad to let them go.

Alicia Slater
05/26/2009, 03:54 AM
"#4 water changes:the solution to polution is dilution !"

Hahaha that's gold! :)

Electrobes
05/26/2009, 05:43 AM
K.I.S.S. and Patience causes fewer gray hairs on both the reefer and their spouse!

herozero
05/26/2009, 06:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15077093#post15077093 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Electrobes
K.I.S.S. and Patience causes fewer gray hairs on both the reefer and their spouse!
I was going to add:
*Never show her the credit card statement*

Theomi
05/26/2009, 08:25 AM
1. Dont let ur lfs employe convince you that 4mm crushed coral is better than 1.5 - 2mm sand

J.R.L.
05/26/2009, 09:11 AM
just go all out and spend the dough on the equipment you really want, instead of spending hundreds on mediocre stuff just to upgrade

SeanT
05/26/2009, 11:34 AM
"Cook" your live rock. :)

iggygrl76
05/26/2009, 11:39 AM
a 30G tall hex tank might be pretty and it might be perfect for seahorses but when its on the stand and your 5'2" you aint cleaning that for crap. lol I still have it in my parents basement I look at it fondly and go oh you know Id like a seahorse tank again then I remember what a PITA it was to clean!