PDA

View Full Version : My filter sock...

jden092901
05/07/2009, 08:39 PM
Ok...I have a 120 with a 40 gallon sump. I have a 1"drain with a filter sock. The sock overflows after about 1 day and makes a mess, then floods into my living room (tank is built into the wall). How can I make this not happen? I wont be able to leave town for more then a day without it doing that. Could I just run my sock a few times a week or month?

Thank you,

Joshua

TBHockey
05/07/2009, 08:50 PM
Joshua,
do you only have 1 sock? you should be changing the sock out every day, that is what i do at least. I was told by a few Hobbyists to do so. I have had situations where i may go 2 days while washing the spares, but i have never seen them overflow. that would probably indicate you need to switch it out more often.

boz151
05/07/2009, 09:01 PM
you could look into getting a larger micron sock. check out www.filterbags.com they have all different ratings of micron. The larger the micron rating, the larger the particles that will pass through the sock.

stricknine
05/07/2009, 09:56 PM
or ditch the sock? (too easy)

Mine didnt last too long, easier to clean a bit of crud than mess with a darn filter sock.

Michael
05/07/2009, 11:56 PM
i dont use a sock, i just use a turkey baster every couple of days in the sump, its not very messy at all, however as mentioned by boz above, it may be just a case of a larger pored sock

THE ROOK
05/08/2009, 06:13 AM
You need to lower the sock so it is not above the rim of the sump. Then when it loads up & overflows it just spills into the sump. Just need to adjust your design.

Also, socks should last a couple of days unless your feeding really heavy with the sump running. Many only run socks when dusting off the rocks to catch the debris before it settles in the sump.

Oh, & you can run socks as little or as often as you like as long as they're changed regularly.