PDA

View Full Version : skimerless anyone?

moga
05/08/2009, 12:17 PM
i have been using skimmer in my 71 gallon tank with 4 fish..
some sps, and softcorals..120 of lbs..

some corals are doing great..some are not..

ricordia, and zoath are not doing great...

SPS is doing ok...

just want to try for couple months how it will turn out..

water change---how much? 20% a week?..

Sugar Magnolia
05/08/2009, 12:40 PM
Sounds fine to me. You'll have to keep us updated on how it goes and if you notice any significant changes.

mjoener
05/08/2009, 12:55 PM
honestly I have a 34g RSM and the skimmer was not working and I left it off for an entire month and everything is doing fine

pIankton
05/08/2009, 01:31 PM
Skimmers aren't necessary pieces of equipment - they just help make everyone's life easier.

Reefer08
05/08/2009, 01:51 PM
Skimmers aren't necessary for certain types of aquariums. I successfully had a 40g lps tank that thrived with no skimmer. But my sps were never happy. Some corals prefer clean water and those that demand clean water should not be placed in a tank without a skimmer.

Reefer08
05/08/2009, 01:55 PM
moga, 20 percent water change is fine for a tank without a skimmer. My advice is to not go longer than 2 weeks without a water change. Just make sure you have a good amount of water flow in the tank. Make sure that the water your getting is clean. A lot of LFS give dirty saltwater so be careful and make sure you check the salinity.

also make sure you run carbon as this will clean up your water a lil.

moga
05/08/2009, 02:04 PM
i will use my RO/DI unit to change water..:)

some of my tank pics..

since i don't have my sump..i have everything in the tank..

http://members.cox.net/pateggle/apr09_4.JPG

http://members.cox.net/pateggle/apr09_3.JPG

redfishsc
05/08/2009, 02:37 PM
Before you remove the skimmer, you might want to try dosing something like aminos. I just started using Kent Coral Accel and honestly my soft corals have perked up quite a bit over the past week that I've used it.

Gary Majchrzak
05/08/2009, 02:46 PM
if you run a "mixed reef" with SPS and softies you should strive to maintain conditions SPS prefer and softies usually tolerate it. Not all SPS can tolerate conditions in which softies thrive.
Running a skimmer and regular water changes can benefit all types of corals.

imcosmokramer
05/08/2009, 03:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14976085#post14976085 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kmjoen230
honestly I have a 34g RSM and the skimmer was not working and I left it off for an entire month and everything is doing fine

that's only because the RSM skimmer doesn't actually do anything ;)

TWallace
05/08/2009, 04:13 PM
I've taken my skimmer offline for a few months at a time and noticed no changes either in tank conditions or nitrate levels (0). Mine is a Euro Reef RS 100. Skimmers are not nearly as necessary as most people believe.

mjoener
05/08/2009, 04:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14976923#post14976923 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by imcosmokramer
that's only because the RSM skimmer doesn't actually do anything ;)

Good point...
That is why I replaced it ;) LOL

wickedfood
05/08/2009, 06:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14977165#post14977165 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kmjoen230
Good point...
That is why I replaced it ;) LOL

Haha, same situation here. Just replace RSM w/ Nanocube 28HQI...

jayk198030
05/08/2009, 06:22 PM
IMO skimming is some what over rated. I use seaclone hang-on skimmers. I have three of them. They seem to be perfect. They skim just enough but not to much. I know people who think that some of their problems come from over skimming.

Gary Majchrzak
05/08/2009, 06:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14977144#post14977144 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TWallace
Skimmers are not nearly as necessary as most people believe.

it all depends on each individual aquarium.

The reason I've posted to this thread is that (judging from the nice aquarium pictured) moga is moving in the wrong direction. I believe the way to improve coral health in this particular aquarium is to continue good skimming (and perhaps even improve upon it) while combining it with regular partial water changes and regular use of granular activated carbon.
Consider adding a sump and/or lit refugium to grow and harvest macroalgae.

Looks like a nice RBTA in there ;)

ccorpse27
05/08/2009, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't run a tank without one. A good one that is.

Timbor
05/08/2009, 07:20 PM
Take a look at Aquabucket's tank - absolutely beautiful, no skimmer for years.
Here ya go:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1506957&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Tim

Gary Majchrzak
05/08/2009, 08:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14978077#post14978077 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Timbor
Take a look at Aquabucket's tank - absolutely beautiful, no skimmer for years.
Here ya go:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1506957&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Tim
exactly my point, Tim.

he and I are big fan's of each other's aquariums.
I doubt he'd want to try and maintain my aquarium without utilizing a skimmer!

moga has SPS and an anemone. Comparing all of these aquariums is like comparing apples and oranges however I will say this:
IME even FO (fish only) systems benefit from the use of protein skimming.

moga
05/12/2009, 08:26 AM
Thanks guys..

in 7 days..my corals are happy.. Clams are opening in full extension of them..SPS are getting more polyps out..

frogspawn seems to be happy~

I only feed the fish once a week...that helps too~

Gary , I added macro algae section in my tank where the flow is good enough to go through..
I put more clean up crew in case of algae bloom..and it's under control for now...

will keep you update on the tank..

CorkPullerPHL
05/12/2009, 08:36 AM
I keep chaeto in my DT. Be very careful with it. It is an absolute detritus trap. You will have to clean it in change water every week. Other than that it works great.

BTW I went skimmerless in my 28 gallon for a year. I recently put a skimmer back in my tank. It just soooo much easier.

Cheers

zackdastack
05/12/2009, 08:52 AM
good looking tank though

BFG
05/13/2009, 01:15 AM
Another skimmerless thread but with sps.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1634553

Hope this helps!

moga
05/18/2009, 09:23 PM
guess i need to report to you guys..

it's been 10 days without the skimmer..

2 things are doing really good..

Garf bonsai got it's deep purple color..wow..and polyps are all out..(never seen it while there is light on..
this is the sps that i kept for 5 years..(wow)..

two clams are doing great..wide open..and healthy..

reduced the feeding..

there were algae break..about 5 days ago..

bought 5 turbo snails..and narssaraus(spelling) snails..
they are cleaning and it's half way done..

also put some macro algae in the container..it's doing its job..i guess...

so just telling you i am still hanging out there..:)

iwill keep you update....

moga
06/01/2009, 07:33 AM
as of 5/31/2009..

i put the skimmer back because of heavy feeding with fish that i had couldn't handle the waste...

for 12 hours of putting the skimmer produced lots of gunk out of the tank..~..

marinelife
06/01/2009, 08:30 AM
I have been 2.5 years on my current tank with no skimmer and before the upgrade was at 7 years. My SPS are happy as long as I keep the AEFWs at bay. I have great color and polyps are out all the time. I have no softies in the tank at all.

It can be done is the tank is setup right. Most people run a skimmer for the piece of mind.
You can no way compare one tank to another as there are no two tanks that are alike.

moga
06/01/2009, 08:40 AM
marinelife, great point..and thanks for the input..:)

maybe half/half? LOL

Gary Majchrzak
06/01/2009, 08:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15112542#post15112542 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marinelife
I have been 2.5 years on my current tank with no skimmer and before the upgrade was at 7 years. My SPS are happy as long as I keep the AEFWs at bay. I have great color and polyps are out all the time. I have no softies in the tank at all.

It can be done is the tank is setup right. Most people run a skimmer for the piece of mind.
You can no way compare one tank to another as there are no two tanks that are alike.
lots of good points but I'll have to disagree that most people run a skimmer for peace of mind. I sincerely doubt that public aquariums are paying big electricity bills to run protein skimmers simply for peace of mind. Simply put: protein skimmers "work".
Slap a great skimmer on an aquarium with cyano ( but no protein skimming) and guess what (usually) happens?

Can a reef aquarium run without a skimmer? Sure.