PDA

View Full Version : Noahm-you da man! (mantis trap!)

Yogre
05/08/2009, 01:34 PM
Noahm- I tried your bubble-blowing 1/2" tubing mantis trapping trick today, and it worked like a charm!

I had a big, aggressive mantis in a REALLY big rock, no way I wanted to try to lift that puppy out to get at this mantis. He seemed to be getting very aggressive, I was feeding my new fish and he swam at least 8" clear of his rock to get their food, I have no doubt he was hungry enough to attack a fish in open water. So, I plugged a piece of 1/2" vinyl tubing with filter floss, jammed it in one end of his lair, and blew a LOT of bubbles in the other end of his lair with a piece of rigid airline tubing. Within 30 seconds, there he was, jammed in the tubing and unable to turn around! I pinched off the open end of the tube, and the mantis is now in my sump awaiting his new home.

So, thanks for the idea Noahm, and for all you other folks with mantis troubles, this trick works!

noahm
05/08/2009, 11:03 PM
HAHA VICTORY!!!!!!

Isn't it just the most satisfying feeling. It makes me want to dine out to celebrate when I get a stubborn one. Glad to have helped. I stumbled on the bubble trick after trying all kinds of probing utensils.

Congrats. I've got one big'un left. Hope I can find him in a compromising soon as well.