PDA

View Full Version : tang suggestions

herozero
05/08/2009, 06:22 PM
My local place's selection, they typically have a pretty good stock of these:

http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Browse.asp?Category=Fish%3ATangs

Hoping for a really algae good grazer. Leaning to a yellow, Pacific Blue or Mimic Lemonpeel.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Toddrtrex
05/08/2009, 07:40 PM
What size tank? Your sig says a 39G, which is too small for any tang.

herozero
05/08/2009, 08:12 PM
i'm going off of this thread and article:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...hreadid=1630417

i only have two clowns there now and ample room. if it gets big, i have no problem being a good owner and finding it a good appropriate home . . . or upgrading . . .

Toddrtrex
05/08/2009, 08:15 PM
That link didn't work.

So, I am guessing that this is for your 39, I wouldn't do it. This isn't something that would work for a couple of years, and then have to get rid of it. Wouldn't see it working for more then 6 months.

herozero
05/08/2009, 08:18 PM
end of this thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1632668

Toddrtrex
05/08/2009, 08:21 PM
I have read that thread that he linked, and I don't agree with it at all. Can't make anyone do anything they do or don't want to do, but a lot of what is talked about in that thread I wouldn't do, and think it is poor husbandry.

herozero
05/08/2009, 08:24 PM
that's the kind of opinion i like to hear, thanks.

Toddrtrex
05/08/2009, 08:31 PM
Sure thing.

One of the hardest things (( as far as reefing goes )) was to sell my powder brown tang (( Acanthurus nigricans )) when I moved years back. I found out that a 75 just wasn't going to work long term for it. I really want another one, but that isn't going to happen until I get a bigger tank. And I don't want to count on getting a bigger tank, going to actually wait until I have it. Heck 4 years ago I was suppose to have a 8 foot tank by now.

ChrisKirkland
05/08/2009, 08:42 PM
I totally disagree with that thread's take on a tang in a 40 gallon tank... If you want to own an tang at least put it in an 6 foot tank that is 125 or larger... So they can grow... I have a yellow tang in my 125 that is 8 inches (only two years old), he's as big as a dinner plate... Tangs grow very fast... a well fed tang in a 40 would last probably 3 months before it would have to be moved... Just my 2 cents

BangkokMatt
05/08/2009, 11:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14978430#post14978430 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
I have read that thread that he linked, and I don't agree with it at all. Can't make anyone do anything they do or don't want to do, but a lot of what is talked about in that thread I wouldn't do, and think it is poor husbandry.
Agree totally. There is a lot of poor standards being promoted in that thread, A real shame as some of the posters are respected by some readers on these boards.

jenglish
05/08/2009, 11:45 PM
I think there are a few smaller tangs that will tolerate a 4 foot tanks(even then only a broader tank, a 55 is far too narrow for turning). I can't say there is any tang that would be good for a 39 gallon tank unless arrangements were already made to move it. And by arrangements I don't mean "planning on upgrading" but a tank that is already paid for! :D

Ehaze
05/09/2009, 12:15 AM
go for it, I don't think they care about a 6ft tank over a 3ft tank, they swim miles a day in the wild... so I REALLY doubt an extra 3 feet will make the tang say "HECK THIS THING IS HUGE, I CAN SWIM ALL DAY WITHOUT HITTING GLASS!"

With that said... I would not put a tang in that small of a tank myself, but you can't match what the tangs have in the wild, so do what you want, if it seems stressed sell it to another reefer.

BangkokMatt
05/09/2009, 12:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14979418#post14979418 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ehaze

but you can't match what the tangs have in the wild, so do what you want, if it seems stressed sell it to another reefer.

You are correct in saying home aquaria can't match an open ocean. However, as aquarists we can strive to create optimum environments. A 39g is no where near an optimum environment. It doesn't even reach the minimum environment.
An extra 3 feet on a tank will make a HUGE difference to the husbandry of keeping Tangs and other 'swimming' fish.
Also, adding fish which you anticipate will need 'moving on' is a very poor game plan.

Ehaze
05/09/2009, 12:38 AM
40 to 125 it is all the same to them, they can swim all the way across a 125 in 1 thrust... I don't thinks it is "optimum" at all, but like I said, if they look stressed pass em on to someone with a "optimum environment".
I am done here.

Good luck on your choice.

jenglish
05/09/2009, 09:12 AM
You can watch the respiratory rates of a tang and compare to a baseline breathing rate to get a very good estimate of stress level that has been established against cortisol levels..... basically we can establish whethor a fish is stressed very accurately. I would bet my bottom dollar a tang is going to show more stress in a 3 foot tank than a 6 foot tank.

We can debate what the Optimum enviroment for them is, but I don't think anyone can say the 6 foot is not a huge improvement over a 3 footer.

tmz
05/09/2009, 09:31 AM
I think a 39 gallon tank is much too small for a tang, even a yellow tang . I believe the standard recoomendation for Zebrasomma flavescens is 75 gallons at a minimum. They don't rally need a 6 foot tank but I'm sure they'd appreciate it.Most other surgeonfish require even larger tanks.