PDA

View Full Version : Canister Filter Question

johnstires
05/09/2009, 09:08 AM
I am going to get a canister filter for my 55G reef tank. I'd like to get an eheim. Does anyone know if any of them come only with mechanical and chemical media or do I need to buy that seperately? I do not want any biological media in it. I'm so confused by all the german names and alot of shops don't explain what types of media actually come with the filters so I'm hoping someone here has purchased one and knows.

On a side note, I know all the downsides of having a canister filter, I am prepared to change the media often.

Just looking for some suggestions on which canister (if any) comes with just mechanical and/or chemical filtration.

ddinox64
05/09/2009, 10:56 AM
The only cannister filters that come with bio media would be the ones listing bio balls.

But, once the pump is up and running and the filter starts to collect debris, it is now biological. The difference between filter media and bio balls or rock is surface area for the biological breakdown.

I'm currently running a cannister with filter media in the top and bottom trays with rock in the middle. It's a Jebo I got off of C.G. I haven't cleaned it since I believe April 8 or 9th. Haven't done a water change since then either. All is good.

Once I get my 90 set up this will all go away since I built a sump.

johnstires
05/09/2009, 12:14 PM
I got the eheim pro series II. I checked their website and it said it comes with a filter pad and foam pad. Duh, didn't know why I neglected to check ther ein the first place.