PDA

View Full Version : Another Bulb Question

bayoupr
05/10/2009, 10:37 AM
I recently installed a Current USA Sunpod 3 bulb 150 hqi mh fixture for my 125 reef tank. This fixture came with 14,000k bulbs. my question is, is the lighting of the pheonix 14,000k bulbs really that much difference as people say? Does anyone have any pictures of these bulbs in action that I can view?

Toddrtrex
05/10/2009, 10:47 AM
I have the 250 watt version. I found the Phoenix bulbs to be brighter then the Current 14Ks. Not to say that they have less blue, but the Current bulbs seemed more dim -- if that makes sense. However, I wouldn't be in a hurry to change the Current bulbs out. IMO, they are good enough to use until they are needed to be changed.

bayoupr
05/10/2009, 08:30 PM
Rather than make another thread I figured I would add to this one. Along with this fixture I have two 36" single bulb Hagen Glo T5 fixtures that I put in my canopy also ( my canopy is open top with the fixtures recessed 12" above my tank along with my MH fixture). So far heat dissplacemt hasn't beena problem yet. I have in these two T5 fixtures a marine glo bulb in each. Here's my question, If I turn these T5"s on say two hours before and after My MH's kick on,how long do I need to keep my MH fixture on? I have leather corals, mushroom corals, 1 christmas tree, 1 green branching hammer, 1 bubble coral, rock flower anemones, inverts and a few fish which are reef safe. Would a lighting of blue on two hours first, than MH's on for 6hrs and than blue on for 2 hrs after be good? Any and all ideas would greatly help. I never had MH's before last week.

bayoupr
05/11/2009, 04:53 AM
Any ideas for a lighting schedule?

redfishsc
05/11/2009, 05:27 AM
Personally I would only run the MH for 6-8 hours per day.

There is a thread in the SPS forum where folks are discussing shorter photoperiods.

You could still run the actinics for 8-10 hours (an hour or two before and after) to suite your taste and provide the fish an easier transition.

bayoupr
05/11/2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the reply. This is the kind of info I'm looking for.