PDA

View Full Version : 75g Planning & Build out

inktomi
05/10/2009, 02:41 PM
This thread will serve as my new tank's home going forward - even though right now it's just a glimmer in my eye. I've got my stand set up (was on sale, had to buy), and as of right now the tank is just empty.

I have a 40 gallon mixed reef, and want to do the same on a slightly larger scale in my 75g. My basic requirements would be:

- 75g mixed reef tank
- Dual 250W MH, or better lights (thinking about the Geiseman Infinity HQI/T5 48" pendent)
- Sump, thinking about getting one from Malev, since his seem well built and have all the bells and whistles for probes, etc.
- Chiller (which one?)
- Neptune controller for cooling/heat/lights (for now.. heh)

I already have an AquaC Remora skimmer hanging on my 40g, but I'm not really all that happy with it, and would like to move to an in-sump skimmer at some point. Since I don't have a sump right now - well, hang on back it is!

A few questions for those who know:

I live in Las Vegas, and in my house the AC keeps it around 78 during the day. I'd like a chiller to help keep the tank more stable, but which kind do I need? There are so many options! Since I will have a sump, I'd imagine that I don't need one with a wand that sits in the water, and it'd be better to get a pass-through chiller. Is that true? Are any "better" with a neptune controller (or would any work?).

I have a PanWorld PX40 that I like, but it's going to be underpowered for my 75g return pump. I was thinking about getting a Pan World 50PX-X to use as a return pump, since the brand seems well built, etc.

I'm going to use 4 tunze nanostream (2 6025 and 2 6055) pumps in the actual tank for flow.

Feel free to comment. I'd specifically like help in choosing a good chiller for this tank.