PDA

View Full Version : Lighting a short 90g

dzeadow
05/11/2009, 12:03 PM
Well I'm in a slow process of setting up a new "90g" tank. The dimensions are not standard. It's 48x24wx18h. I'm starting with a 4x54 T5 retro then going to add more as money permits. My question is, being an 18" tall tank, should I go w/ only a total of 6 bulbs or 8? I'm going to be using a workhorse 7 ballast on the first 4 w/ either the IC reflectors or Aquactinics, haven't decided. But the point is they won't be overdriven. I plan on having some SPS, but I'll be keeping them in the top 1/2-1/3 of the tank, the LPS and softies in the mid to lower parts. Any advice is welcome, TIA.

divewsharks
05/11/2009, 01:57 PM
using 6 or 8 bulbs doesn't make alot of difference with the height of the tank, the number of bulbs is most important based on the depth of the tank (front/back). To get good/effective coverage, on a 24" depth (front/back) you want at least 8 but 10 would be better. There is no reason to overdrive. The biggest difference between Aquatinics and IC reflectors is the width, you can get narrow Aquatinics reflectors, meaning more bulbs in the same space; both are very good reflectors.

hth

dzeadow
05/11/2009, 04:36 PM
Sounds good, thats what I needed to know. I guess I"ll be eventually getting at least another set of 4 down the road. Man, lighting and skimming are the two most expensive things in this hobby, lighting is #1 though, if you want it good.