PDA

View Full Version : pairing up clowns

skippy12094
05/11/2009, 02:32 PM
Hi all,
I was looking for some suggestions. I have a true perc. that I have had for a little over two years and at one point I had two of them but one has since died. I was wondering can I pair up another one to the one I have left? I have tried this before and with devistateing result. I spent 36 dollars on another true perc. I brought it home acclemated it to the tank, let it lose, went and did some stuff I had to do and when I got home my older true perc had beaten the crap out of the new one (I quarentined it but it died shortly after). Why did this happen? I thought maybe the new one was also a male and they fought. I couldn't figure it out. Now I want to get a mated pair and start breeding but I really don't want to get rid of my only origional fish to my aquarium is there a way I can introduce another true perc to the tank so they mate? what are my options. The one I have left is lovin my anemone an I'm wondering if that is going to make problems for the new guy. Should I get a female ??? Please let me know thanks in advance
Mark

blazing
05/11/2009, 02:56 PM
Poeple always say to get a smaller one. U should try to get a smaller one so that it will most likely be a male and usually the bigger will be the female.

Reefbox
05/11/2009, 03:01 PM
get the smallest one you can find.

Provide some shelter for the small one to take protection if needed.

rdlisby
05/11/2009, 03:12 PM
I attempted to pair my Maroon clown up with a very small Maroon clown, the small one had 160 #s of live rock to hide in. Needless to say 2 days later I had to tell my two year old that the baby fish went to heaven. Maroons are pretty aggressive I’m told so maybe you will have better luck. Keep us posted. :)