PDA

View Full Version : Picasso Trigger in a reef?

RobbyVonAwesome
05/11/2009, 07:25 PM
Has anyone successfully kept a picasso trigger in a reef tank? Do they typically bother corals?

Yes, I know they eat shrimp and snails.

reefergeorge
05/11/2009, 07:33 PM
I have successfully kept zoas, polyps, rics, shrooms, and a large leather with mine. The only problem with them is spitting sand all over everything.
He took out a cleaner shrimp as soon as he hit the water, and the hermits, and snails didn't make the first night. Even with the trouble they are great fish.

carlso63
05/11/2009, 07:34 PM
A Picasso is not a good choice for a Reef system as they will munch on pretty much any type of SPS, smaller polyped LPS (like Frogspawn, Hammers, etc) aome of the bigger polyped LPS (Brains, Fungias, Acans) and will eat crabs, urchuins, starfish in addition to the snails and shrimp you mentioned...

RobbyVonAwesome
05/11/2009, 07:59 PM
I figured these were the type of answers I'd get. I was hoping to get a few success stories though. What I really want is a fish I can feed by hand. I have a 4'x2'x2' mixed reef, mostly sps. Any suggestions on a fish I can feed by hand?

carlso63
05/11/2009, 08:31 PM
If you are looking at Triggers, how about either a Pink - Tailed Trigger or a Bluejaw?

Both of those are pretty "reef safe" in general and get quite tame; I have a Pink -Tailed in my 225 Reef and it doesn't bother any of the corals, crabs or snails... not even my Fire Shrimp, Peppermints nor my Coral Banded pair!

Gdevine
05/11/2009, 08:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14993677#post14993677 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RobbyVonAwesome
I figured these were the type of answers I'd get. I was hoping to get a few success stories though. What I really want is a fish I can feed by hand. I have a 4'x2'x2' mixed reef, mostly sps. Any suggestions on a fish I can feed by hand?

My Fox Face and LMB eat from my hand every night if that's all your looking for. Both fish are known for this behavior, as are others...it's pretty cool to tell you the truth; I can actually pet my LMB:)

Ed Reef
05/11/2009, 10:12 PM
Niger trigger is also a model citizen in my old tank....never bother anyone !!

Stuart60611
05/12/2009, 04:44 PM
I have a picasso and a pinktail in my tank which started as a fowlr and now I am adding a few corals. I have some zoas, a monticap, and a hammer coral. Neither trigger is interested in any of the corals. They are, however, fed heavily every day.