PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Return Plumbing

ImprezaSTi
05/12/2009, 01:18 AM
Hi everyone, I setup a sump not too long ago, and the noises coming from my return plumbing is starting to annoy me. The return pump (ocean runner 2500) runs silent when it is not connected to anything, so I would assume the noise is coming from the vibrations of the pump with the plumbing.

I used PVC and PVC glue to do the return plumbing, and I am wondering if the noise will go away if I use the flexible material instead. I've seen it used in pics in other setups, but have no clue what it is or how its used. If the flexible material does reduce noise, will it be sufficient if I attach a small piece (say.. a foot) of the flexible plumbing to my pump and connect that to PVC ?

Thanks in advanced.

der_wille_zur_macht
05/12/2009, 06:52 AM
Using a length of hose between the pump and plumbing will help a bit. Also, try to pad the plumbing anywhere that it touches other objects - so if it passes along the back of the stand, zip-tie some foam rubber or an old cut up mousepad to the plumbing where it rubs.

Also, if you are running that pump externally, consider putting some padding underneath it. An old mousepad works well here, too.

thegrun
05/12/2009, 07:29 AM
Flex connections and isolation pads will help a little, but the head pressure causing the impeller to make noise is probably the major contributor to the noise problem.

ImprezaSTi
05/18/2009, 02:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14995928#post14995928 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thegrun
Flex connections and isolation pads will help a little, but the head pressure causing the impeller to make noise is probably the major contributor to the noise problem.

Ah ok, thats what it must be. That would mean theres no way to reduce the noise, other than getting a bigger pump?

Whys
05/18/2009, 04:22 AM
Out of curiosity, how tall is the water column from your pump to the display tank water level? Are you running it internal or external?

WhoDey64
05/18/2009, 07:12 AM
If you have it hooked to your system with all hard PVC then save yourself the cost of a new pump and install flexible PVC between the pump and the first section of hard PVC. Its a great shock absorber.

ImprezaSTi
05/18/2009, 11:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15030691#post15030691 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Whys
Out of curiosity, how tall is the water column from your pump to the display tank water level? Are you running it internal or external?
4.5 feet. Using the pump internally, rated at 650gph.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15031095#post15031095 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WhoDey64
If you have it hooked to your system with all hard PVC then save yourself the cost of a new pump and install flexible PVC between the pump and the first section of hard PVC. Its a great shock absorber.
Thats what I thought at first, but I wasn't too sure it was that because the noise is still there if I hold the plumbing with my hand (shock absorber). Once thegrun said it was head pressure, I knew thats what it was.

Whys
05/18/2009, 03:11 PM
I couldn't find a graph, but based on max head (7.5 to 8.5 feet)the pump's head loss is probably a little past half. I'm not familiar with that particular pump, but that doesn't sound like the problem to me.

Open up your pump and clean it out. There could be blockage in the impeller. Otherwise, a bit of flexible tubing could be a good idea for internal use. Externals have the benefit of mounting screws and optional padding. Internals just have suction cups.

Hope this helps.