PDA

View Full Version : cons of mangrove filtration?

Greatreefer
05/12/2009, 09:35 PM
I remember. seeing an article a while back that was written by ( I belive) Julian Sprung about the pros of mangrove filtration. Ever sense then I thought HOW COOL IT WOULD BE TO HAVE A TREE IN AN Aquarium!
I went and talked to a guy at the LFS today about mangroves and he said that there is a possibilty that the mangroves can destroy tanks due to their root systems getting to large and breaking the seams of the aquarium from the pressure caused by the root system. I wonder, if this is can actually happen? Can the mangrove really grow that enormous and could actually split the tank open. or, could you grow it like a Bonzai and trim the roots ever so often and keep it on the smaller side?

any thoughts?..........

with that said:
BRING ON THE MANGROVE PHOTOS!

DaveMorris
05/12/2009, 11:30 PM
I have 8 of them growing in my refugium. They are a little over a year old and at the rate they grow, I figure it will be about 2045 before I need to worry too much about putting them in a bigger tank. They are in fact a tree, so yes they could, in theory, break a tank. I just don't think it would happen very fast. I have no idea if they are a real benefit to my system, but they do grow a lot of leaves and that takes nutrients. Those are nutrients that they take out of the water so to me I think they are beneficial. They look cool too.

Greatreefer
05/12/2009, 11:50 PM
How long have you had your trees?
Do you have any picts?

Charlie Davidson
05/13/2009, 05:16 AM
:lol2: Roots growing big enough to split tank.. That is a good one for "crazy things you hear at LFS" thread..

ant1k
05/13/2009, 05:52 AM
id think that it would be ore likely that the roots would get under the silicone and cause leaks at the seams if not crash the whole tank when that occurs.

non the less, mangroves grow really slow, so it would be a very long time before something like that would happen, im sure that you would catch it by then. lol

str1988
05/13/2009, 11:10 AM
I have 11 in the tank they are growing slowly and I check the root systems occasionally by feeling around in the sand and under rocks to make sure there are no problems. I did have one root move a skimmer box a little. They really look nice, I have them in a shallow tank specifically built for them along with my live rock and fish/inverts

Greatreefer
05/13/2009, 12:47 PM
food for thought.........
I found an article from the reef keeping magazine that talks about mangroves.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/ac/feature/index.php