PDA

View Full Version : In sump filters?

reefdork74
05/13/2009, 10:38 AM
Hello, all. I am building a new 90-gallon rectangle tank with a 20 gallon sump. I have heard you can get in-sump "boxes" to put filter media in either your water flow from the overflow or the protein skimmer. Can you point me to anything? Or have any better ideas?

Stuart60611
05/13/2009, 02:06 PM
You could use any acylic box and have the flow feed into the box. However, a phosban reactor only costs like $30.00 and is a more effective way to use the media because it fluidizes the media allowing the water to come in contact with the most surface area of the media Plus, it takes up no room in your sump because you simply hang it off the sump rim. You only need a very low powered pump to fluidize the media because the media cannot handle substantial flow so additional costs associated with the pump and electricity is minimal. That is way I would go.

username in use
05/13/2009, 05:26 PM
+1 for the reactor. Its just so easy

reefdork74
05/14/2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks. I just ordered the phosban reactor. I'll let you know how it works in a few months.

hebygb
05/14/2009, 11:56 AM
If you are still looking for one of those boxes that holds bioballs, I have one that is in near mint condition. I used it for about 6 months in a 90 gallon cichlid tank. $30 plus shipping and I will include bioballs as well. Also includes the drip tray.

I always like to have multiple types of filtration in my systems.