PDA

View Full Version : Do Jawfish hide for days at a time?

becact
05/13/2009, 04:52 PM
Haven't seen my jawfish for two days and am getting worried! I put him in about a week ago, and he immediately dug a burrow under the rocks. He was eating fine before he vanished. Before he disappeared, he was always bobbing in and out of the burrow. I've searched the tank for a new burrow but don't see one.

Is this normal behavior? Help, I'm worried!

joesfiddy
05/13/2009, 05:04 PM
did it jump out?

Grassroots
05/13/2009, 05:12 PM
Its possible that it jumped out, if so do you have any animals or children that could of taken the corpse? If you have lots of live rock in your aquarium check in it. If you have a overflow box or sump check in there also, fish can end up in weird places.

Crustman
05/13/2009, 05:16 PM
They will hide. After I introduced mine, I had to feed it late at night when it would come out to dig a new burrow. One of mine also got in the overflow box. I started with 2 but 1 vanished, never to be seen again. You have to target feed them when they are introduced to your tank.

becact
05/13/2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks guys, checked my overflow and sump, but no sign of him. I also searched the floor around and behind the tank but no body. I will check tonight when it's dark. I sure hope he's still in there :(

Jerry W
05/13/2009, 08:47 PM
I had mine hide for a few days on occasion. I thought it was dead and gone, but after a time, I saw the head peeking out of the den. I don't think it's uncommon.

luvreefs23
05/13/2009, 09:29 PM
mines hiding behind the tank on the floor. blue spot too, gf bought one for her solana...never found him. We think dog ate him when he flopped out.

becact
05/13/2009, 09:59 PM
The way my canopy is situated, he could have only jumped out the back. Here's a shot of the inside taken from the front:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/bchandlerucf/05092009-10.jpg

I know it's possible he could have got through the eggcrate, but I checked the floor behind the tank and no jawfish... thanks to those who are giving me a little hope, I'll be sure to post if I find him :)