PDA

View Full Version : Should I Frag?

Fishindude88
05/14/2009, 02:48 PM
I just purchased a frag of Mohawks with about 3 polyps and a couple babies. Two of the polyps had been looking not so good while one and the babies have been looking great. Today there is that jelly substance covering one of the 2 bad looking polyps. The other bad looking polyp is showing signs of reopening and the good polyps look incredible. Should I attempt to frag away the bad polyp or let it be?

flyyyguy
05/14/2009, 02:56 PM
adding more stress to a already struggling frag I tend to avoid, although in some cases, such as the one you describe some action usually can certainly be necessary

what I do in that exact circumstance you descibed is I take a new scalpel, and I cut the mat in between the polyps, making sure to leave the bad tissue away from the good tissue and cutting deep enough that you are into the rock and seperation is absolute, then take a thin line of super glue and seal the polyps from each other. put back into tank.

If any of the polyps are way too far gone to save, I will aslo pluck them out completely with tweezers after making the cut with the blade

good luck

Fishindude88
05/14/2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the help. It should be pretty simple to cut this polyp away as it is separated a bit away from the healthy patch of polyps. I am just worried that by removing it from the water I will compromise the healthy polyps, but I hear these things are contagious to other polyps connected so action is, like you said, necessary.

flyyyguy
05/14/2009, 03:03 PM
I will also add, that if you happen to have a polyp that is apparently healthy, but the mush of death is encroaching on it......dont wait for it to spread to the top of the polyp, and dont be afraid to cut into the polyp as long as your blade is pure. You are seperating them all anyway...if it dies it dies, but cutting it in half and sealing it with glue will at least give the polyp a chance, instead of simply watching it spread and die