PDA

View Full Version : Anemone in trouble?

ghost79
05/14/2009, 03:45 PM
I purchased a bubble tip anemone last Monday May 4. Brought him home and he did well for the first few days. Now he has completely shriveled up and flipped himself over. :( He has been like this for a day and a half. Is he going to be ok? Do I need to remove him? I am in fear for my clownfish as well my firefish. Please advise.

Toddrtrex
05/14/2009, 09:32 PM
What are the parameters of your tank? And is it your 24?

How long has it been set up?

What lights?

And are you saying that it isn't even attaching, and just laying there?

dsoz
05/14/2009, 10:59 PM
Not attached is not a good thing. If it is attached and deflated it is usually OK.

If it is not attached, pick it up gently and take it out of the water for a "sniff test." If it smells like the most nasty death you have ever experienced, then get it out of your tank. Otherwise, let it be for another 6-12 hours. Wait for a change. If no change, do the sniff test again and get rid of it if it is decaying.

Is your AP with the MH light or the PC light? The PC hood is not enough for an anemone. The MH light is plenty, but don't hope to keep any corals in there, the anemone will grow to fill the entire tank. :) Post a picture if this happens.

dsoz

ghost79
05/14/2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks for your help guys. The anemone never stood a chance. I wish the dealer would have been more forthcoming with info when I asked if the anemone had any special needs. Its easy to make a bad decision with something so beautiful and seemingly healthy. I think I'll let mother nature care for anemones from now on.