PDA

View Full Version : Your Weirdest Fish?

Lockhartia
05/15/2009, 05:57 AM
Just wondering if anyone else has some really bizarre acting fish out there!

As an example, there was a yellow tang where I used to work that loved to get blown around by the target feeder I used to feed the corals! He would position himself directly infront of the end of the tube and I would blast water onto him as hard as I could! You could even see his skin ripple with the pressure!

He was a very odd critter! Sometimes when I let go of the bulb of the feeder, the suction would pull him into the feeder and he'd stick there. I could even gently push him around the tank like this! He was the healthiest yellow tang you ever saw, active and fat. I just think he had a few screws loose! I'd remove the target feeder and he'd turn back into a normal fish.

Any other wacky fish out there?

tdp22
05/15/2009, 01:13 PM
Love to watch my clowns "ride" the powerheads. Just drift up and pow like a bullet across the tank. They do it swimming forward and backward, and seem to love it. Bout the weirdest I got.

the_rider
05/15/2009, 02:47 PM
I have a Sleeper gold head goby that like to swim in the open and ride the powerhead.

My copperband is the boss of my tank and he bullied my 4' Goldrim for 3 days straight when I introduced the Goldrim

Sheol
05/15/2009, 05:29 PM
My ocellaris clown who decides what goes where in the tank, pushing undesirable coral COLONIES of onto the sand & then doing a victory dance..

Matthew

reefworm
05/15/2009, 09:12 PM
Perculas that ride the Korlias, pretty much like tdp22 loonies. But actually the silliest fish I've ever had was many years ago in a freshwater tank. I had a khuli loach that, with no provocation, would charge around the front of the tank in a figure eight, going inverted like a fighter in a half-roll, for a good 2-3 minutes nonstop. then it would drift to the bottom and pant for awhile, then do it again. no predictable pattern, it would just spazz out with no warning. a real hoot to watch

Stanley-Reefer
05/16/2009, 07:44 AM
One of my 3 pyramid butterflies approaches a clip of seaweed upside down!

massman
05/16/2009, 07:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15017854#post15017854 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by the_rider
he bullied my 4' Goldrim

That's a huge goldrim!!:D

SDguy
05/16/2009, 09:11 AM
My canary fang blenny is weird. The way it swims. The way it "pounces" on food. And especially the way it sleeps in the corner of the aquarium, pressed into the seam of the two pieces of glass.

rydr119
05/16/2009, 12:04 PM
My 2-barred rabbit goes to the surface of the water and blows bubbles. Only in the evening and only in the corners of the tank. Its so weird and really funny to see this 6" fish straight up and down making bubbles. Also my blue tang re-arranges the tank to its liking, coral, rocks, whatever.

olemanwinter
05/16/2009, 04:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15021433#post15021433 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SDguy
My canary fang blenny is weird. The way it swims. The way it "pounces" on food. And especially the way it sleeps in the corner of the aquarium, pressed into the seam of the two pieces of glass.

YES! I just got a pair of forktail fang (bluehead) blennies last week.

I thought they were dead a couple of times. They just wedge themselves in the very edge of the glass like they are stuck and mine sort of change colors to a splotchy white when they sleep and they almost disapear.

I have also found one sleeping wrapped around the pump pipe leading to my HOB skimmer.

They are total pushovers though. My bicolor blenny claims all the cool blenny spots anytime he wants to.

Also weird is how they just freeze in mid water. They don't swim and they also don't get blown around by the current. They freeze just like you took a picture. Very cool fish.

Western_reefer
05/16/2009, 05:19 PM
http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp209/terrariumman/pichers1.jpg

:D :D

rydr119
05/19/2009, 04:25 PM
Rabbit blowing bubbles video
Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RckUWQ2bAc)

vwdriver
05/20/2009, 04:12 AM
haha that video is great

unleashed13
05/20/2009, 09:36 AM
lmbo that is cute and slightly weird lol

small alien
05/20/2009, 09:50 AM
My green manderin will go to the surface and spit little jets of water at the lid. I've heard they do that into the rock in nature to extract foodsies. It's funny. Har har.

JokerGirl
05/20/2009, 10:02 AM
My fantabulous Scribbled Rabbitfish loves to be pet, go figure. If I'm near the tank, he'll make bubbles at the surface of the water until I stick my finger in and give him a rub on the side. Strangely, it knows to keep it's spines down.

It's a disaster waiting to happen...

LisaD
05/20/2009, 10:19 AM
I've had several:

my rabbitfish does the same thing (blowing bubbles) - anyone know why?

I had a harlequin tusk that would pick up coral rubble and swim all around the tank with it, then drop it in the same spot, to make a big pile.

I also had a mimic tang that pooped in the same spot all the time - on top of the HTs coral rubble pile.

Had a six line wrasse for many years. It learned to jump from the tank to the HOB refugium (Ecosystem 40). I never saw it jump, but there was no other way I can think of to explain it regularly showing up in the fuge. Then it would jump BACK. This fuge doesn't dump back into the DT with an overflow, the water is pumped back to the tank. This went on for years, until one day, found the wrasse on the floor. :(

Don't know how funny this is, but my Brazilian dragon moray gets bullied by even small (3") angels and backs down when his face gets tail slapped. But the same eel will stalk and try to eat dogface puffers. I had to remove my 7" puffer, but all the smaller fish are living in peace witht his fish.

My reticulate boxfish is buds with my dogface puffer, sometimes rests on it's head. They seem to be great friends, the 7 inch puffer swimming with the 2.5" boxfish...

Dante_JoseCuerv
05/20/2009, 10:51 AM
My weirdest fish has to be my longhorny cowfish. When it eats it has to approach its meal sideways. It's not that it can't swim normally, but rather a habit I guess? Also, during random parts of the day it tries to charge straight into my koralia 3 only to be blown across the tank where it then spits water at my canopy. I've heard that the spitting is actually its way to get mosquitos and little bugs in the wild but alas I have none here.

unleashed13
05/20/2009, 11:16 AM
i dont know if its weird or not but its funny to watch when i feed my porc his food always ends up going into the flow of the powerhead.. one the current catches it porky goes full speed to catch up with it lol

LobsterOfJustice
05/20/2009, 12:32 PM
The rabbitfish blowing bubbles is common (mine did it too). Not sure why they do it, although if you see it in other fishes it probably means gill flukes.

I had a tang who always pooped in the same place - I had a thread on it, but can't seem to find it. Pretty sure it was called "tang always poops in the same place".

LisaD
05/20/2009, 12:41 PM
and I thought my tang was "special"! :)

Madfronter
05/20/2009, 01:09 PM
I use a small glass bowl to feed my fish frozen food. When I dump the food into the tank I usually submerge about 2 inches of the bowl when its tilted into the water due to clearance issues, and my citron goby swims into the cup every time and I have to make sure he was dumped out with the food before taking the bowl out. Also all my fish come to the right side of my tank to watch me mix up their food in the bowl. Its very cool to see. Kinda reminds me of Bruce Almighty when all the fish are following him around. I need to get a picture of both.

32flavors
05/21/2009, 02:54 PM
madfronter--GOT to post a pic of that! AWESOME.

I had a blue tang that would thump the glass when I forgot to turn his swimming lane powerhead on.... Died of an obstruction of some kind.