PDA

View Full Version : Return Pump Help

Chilipepr
05/15/2009, 07:32 AM
I need to pick up a return pump(s) and I would love any recommendations.

I have two 1" lines running from the fish room, each with two outputs into the tank. I have a 15' vertical run and a 10' horizontal lift (each also has three 90 degree turns and a ball valve).

I could either do a pump for each line or one pump and split. thinking that two may be better in case one of them dies)

My tank is 178gallons, with about 350 gallons of total volume. I have two Vortech MP40s in the tank, so I think I will need about 500 gph for the returns.

Anyone have a recommendation on a pump(s)? On whether or not I should run one or two pumps?

Thanks!

Entropy
05/15/2009, 07:44 AM
External or Internal?

Chilipepr
05/15/2009, 07:46 AM
I can do either.

Entropy
05/15/2009, 08:27 AM
External is your best bet IMO. I would probably go with a Iwaki MD55RLT. You should get close to 1000gph at 10 feet of head. The Japanese version is very quiet and built like a tank. I would just split it to both returns. I wonder if you could somehow work an OM 2 way squirt in there for random flow action? :)

Chilipepr
05/15/2009, 08:41 AM
so, you think I would need the 55 over the 40?

the OM squirt look interesting, I will definitely look at it. But I should have plenty of action with the MP40's

Entropy
05/15/2009, 08:55 AM
Depends on how bad you need 500gph per return. I think you would get closest with the 55. Looking at the flow graph it says about 15gpm at 4 meters, so I figure a bit more than that (maybe 1100gph), but up 10 feet and over 15 with three elbows is going to knock it down some. I think if you went with the 40 you would be looking at more like 350-400gph per return.

Chilipepr
05/15/2009, 09:27 AM
I am looking for about 500-600 gph for both returns combined (Sorry for the confusion)

I figure turning the whole system over two times per hour through the sump should be enough along with the two mp40's.

If I could get 40RLT (I assume I want the RLT over the RLXT) I think that should be close to the number I want. But, the 55 would give me more than enough.

You give the nod to the Japanese motors over the US motors?

Thanks again for the help.

Entropy
05/15/2009, 09:52 AM
Oh! Yeah if you just want 500gph combined I think the 40 would work fine, actually even it would likely give you more than you need.

I am just going off observation since I have never owned a Iwaki, but the Japanese motors that I have seen (and heard) running are quieter than the USA models. If noise is not an issue, the American version is cheaper and just as reliable IMO. I have a lot of friends using them and the LFS's in my old city where using them for 5+ years. They end up rusty and noisey as they get older, but they run forever.

You might want to ask around some more though. 500 gph should not be too hard to get and there might be cheaper options.

Chilipepr
05/15/2009, 09:57 AM
My Priorities are
1: Reliability
2: Reliability
3: Cost
4: Noise

Reliability is my biggest concern, especially if I only have one pump. Noise is not an issue since it will be in the basement and and the room is insulated.

Thank you for the help!