PDA

View Full Version : Corals that are compatible with Acroporas

scribble
05/15/2009, 12:30 PM
I am looking to get a list of corals that people have found to be compatible with Acroporas, meaning will not encroach upon them and/or kill them by touching them. I am sort of moving from a dedicated Acro/SPS tank to more of a mixed reef and am looking for a list corals that will not eventually become a problem.

For example, I have found that zoas seem to grow up against Acros without much problem but mushrooms and ricordeas sting and kill anyplace they touch on an Acropora (if anyone has not found this not to be true, please say so). I am listing below corals that I have found as safe to brush up against and/or grow up against an Acropora, and those that are bad. By bad I mean things that can spread or move and kill off Acros. Anything else that people can add to the list would be great. Thanks

As you can see my “good” list is quite short, which is why I’m posting this question. I know that most corals can out-sting an Acropora but if they don’t spread or move I don’t have them on my bad list. My bad list is things I feel should not even be in an SPS tank because they will eventually become a problem.

Good:
Zoas
Gorgonians (because I don’t think they can sting anything)

Bad:
Mushrooms and Ricordeas
Star Polyps
Yellow colonial polyps
Almost any anemone

faze07hd
05/15/2009, 12:37 PM
Zoas need to be moved to the bad list... not all but some zoas usually have a toxin in them and when they touch another living thing it can kill it. almost like an anemone.

I dont think there is much that you can safely say that can touch and grown next to an acro. I would think a mushroom can. Any reef tank and even the natural reefs are all open game... Survival of the fittest.

scribble
05/15/2009, 01:43 PM
Mushrooms have been one of my main problems. Some green spotted mushrooms came in on some rock and have spread all over the place. When they grow near the base of one of my Acros it’ll kill a pretty big area on the base where it touched. I wonder if some mushrooms are different and don’t do this.

I have Zoas that grow right up and touch the base of some Acros and it doesn’t seem to bother them. It seems like the Acros can force back the Zoas as they grow.

I also have a big purple ribbon gorgonian and its branches get tangled up in a few of my Acros and they don’t seem to bother each other.

I’m sort of letting the Zoas go right now and trying to eradicate all the mushrooms.

scribble
05/15/2009, 01:50 PM
Faze07hd, you’re absolutely right about the survival of the fittest thing. This tank has almost gone too far already. I’m thinking of just letting them all duke it out in there. I wasn’t very carefull about what I brought in and now it’s a huge job to get them out.

I’m really on the brink of cutting off the Acros, cooking the rock in the two batches, and starting over. It’s that, or just let it go wild west in there. It actually looks real nice but there’s a lot of stinging and fighting going on.