PDA

View Full Version : Bimacs

ataller
05/15/2009, 08:11 PM
I have been trying to read up on Bimac anthias info and have found a bit, some contradictory. As far as I can tell, they are larger than typical anthias, easier to feed, a bit more expensive, and in my opinion one of the prettiest anthias.

Some say they are aggressive some say they arent. Some people say they need large tanks some say they do not.

Would I be crazy for putting 3 small female bimacs into a 36x18x18 ? I was thinking the bimacs a flasher and a fairy wrasse. Do you think the tank is way to small for the bimacs? Too small for the wrasses as well?

I hate to sound like a broken record, as I see this a lot on the boards, but the 36x18x18 will be upgraded sooner or later, so if everything goes to plan this will be a home only when they are small. I keep a mixed reef, 0 nitrate, 0 phosphates, 1.025 salinity, 80 degrees, ideal paramters.

I do trust the collective experience of the board, and will heed your advice. If the bimacs are a huge nono, would a trio of Barlett's work better? I do prefer the bimacs though.

Adam

adtravels
05/15/2009, 08:26 PM
I had a female that was aggressive towards smaller anthias species. Also never really settled.
The tanks size all depends on the type and power of the flow.
If I were you I would switch species to dispar's, bartletts or the like.
good luck.

ataller
05/15/2009, 08:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15019583#post15019583 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by adtravels
I had a female that was aggressive towards smaller anthias species. Also never really settled.
The tanks size all depends on the type and power of the flow.
If I were you I would switch species to dispar's, bartletts or the like.
good luck.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Flow will be an MP40 and an MP20, pretty much more flow than the size can handle.

So far its one for against. Anyone else want to add their experience?

adtravels
05/15/2009, 08:39 PM
I have two mpw 40 in a 60 cube, my dispar's love it.
Bimacs get big as well.

ataller
05/15/2009, 09:05 PM
I am open to Dispars or Bartlett's for sure. How many do you have in your 60 cube? If the bimacs can be aggressive, its probably best not to put them with flashers or fairies. Also I am glad to hear that someone else has two vortechs in a small tank.

Anyone else want to add something?

Adam

finsurgeon
05/16/2009, 09:39 AM
I ran across a nice male bimac about a year ago at an LFS. Took it home because it was more colorful than most anthias and it satisfied my need for either bimac or ventralis or pictilis. It has done very well, spends much time in the upper to middle of my tank, fairly close to my seio 1100's. It eats mysis, arctipods, spirilina-brine, pellets, flakes, and plankton. It has no interest in algae. It has not picked on any of the smaller fish (mandarins, shrimp gobies, bar gobies, red cap gobies, red scooter blenny, blue stripe pipefish, or any other, but it was a later arrival on the scene than most, and is far from the dominant fish. The only fish to chase it at all was my regal tang, and that was just a cursory welcome that only lasted a day or two. My flame hawk mildy threatened it once or twice and my maroon clown female keeps it away from their anemone, but really it has fit in nicely. Other tangs and big wrasses have ignored it completely. I don't see any problem with your plan - especially if the wrasses are in first - though I'd personally recommend the male to go with a couple of females. I like the mix of pink in with the orange and yellow.

jmaneyapanda
05/16/2009, 11:24 AM
I have 1 male and 4 female bimacs, and they dont pay any attention to any other fish, aside from one another. There is a definite pecking order (with the male on top), and there is an occasioanl spirited chase around the tank, but other than that, no worries.

64Ivy
05/16/2009, 12:22 PM
As with Bartletts, it has been my experience that should you purchase a nice sized shoal (1 male, X females), a few of the females will turn male and THAT'S when the problems begin. I've had them chase each other to the point where one of them inevitably runs into a coral which will either snap a branch, injure the fish, or in the case of a frag, displace it completely AND injure the fish. I don't know if this issue is prevalent in 'smaller' tanks with just a few Bimacs however.

Just a word of warning.

ataller
05/16/2009, 05:08 PM
I ran across a nice male bimac about a year ago at an LFS. Took it home because it was more colorful than most anthias and it satisfied my need for either bimac or ventralis or pictilis. It has done very well, spends much time in the upper to middle of my tank, fairly close to my seio 1100's. It eats mysis, arctipods, spirilina-brine, pellets, flakes, and plankton. It has no interest in algae. It has not picked on any of the smaller fish (mandarins, shrimp gobies, bar gobies, red cap gobies, red scooter blenny, blue stripe pipefish, or any other, but it was a later arrival on the scene than most, and is far from the dominant fish. The only fish to chase it at all was my regal tang, and that was just a cursory welcome that only lasted a day or two. My flame hawk mildy threatened it once or twice and my maroon clown female keeps it away from their anemone, but really it has fit in nicely. Other tangs and big wrasses have ignored it completely. I don't see any problem with your plan - especially if the wrasses are in first - though I'd personally recommend the male to go with a couple of females. I like the mix of pink in with the orange and yellow.

Great to hear that you have had success with the bimac. My tank is quite a bit smaller than yours. Do you think that will be a problem? I will have lots of flow for them to play around. I suppose it is good to hear that he sticks to one area. Maybe a huge space is not a serious concern.

I have 1 male and 4 female bimacs, and they dont pay any attention to any other fish, aside from one another. There is a definite pecking order (with the male on top), and there is an occasioanl spirited chase around the tank, but other than that, no worries.

What size tank are they in? From what you have seen with your set do you think 36x18x18 will be enough as long as the tank is not packed with LR. I understand I will have to leave some space for them to play in the vortechs.

As with Bartletts, it has been my experience that should you purchase a nice sized shoal (1 male, X females), a few of the females will turn male and THAT'S when the problems begin. I've had them chase each other to the point where one of them inevitably runs into a coral which will either snap a branch, injure the fish, or in the case of a frag, displace it completely AND injure the fish. I don't know if this issue is prevalent in 'smaller' tanks with just a few Bimacs however. Just a word of warning.

I was planning on picking up 3-4 females and letting them decide which one will be male. Are you saying that if I do it this way multiples will turn male? That would be a problem....

Thanks so far for the info. Anymore would be appreciated!

Adam

mcliffy2
05/16/2009, 10:42 PM
Observing my trio in a 238g, I don't think your tank is big enough. My tank is 60x36, and the all have their own territories. Since my tank is 36" wide, this could be somewhat of a proxy for what a trio would be like in your tank...check out this video of their fighting to establish territory (interestingly this is immediately after living peacefully together in a 55g QT for a month):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RvOp1TxbWvE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>******* src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RvOp1TxbWvE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Besides the size of your tank, I've found mine to be generally very easy to keep fish...they only eat frozen food (no flakes or pellets), but hold their own against my other fish, and for a deepwater fish, seem to acclimate very well. You might try a pair...and see how that works, as long as you have a backup if they dont get along. I think that most deepwater anthias don't school like the bartletts and lyretails, and from what I've observed, this seems to be true of bimacs...my trio doesn't really school together. Here's a few pics:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ZUUEzqB4iWg/SaTaA3ZuAAI/AAAAAAAAC54/pElQxANeR2E/s400/IMGP3575%20-%202009-02-24%20at%2022-24-16.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ZUUEzqB4iWg/SeKImN87VII/AAAAAAAADJc/PGbcSna6Y48/s400/IMGP4381%20-%202009-04-12%20at%2018-35-23.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ZUUEzqB4iWg/SaTZ70gn9qI/AAAAAAAAC5s/ZmJzkX3TlLs/s400/IMGP3595%20-%202009-02-24%20at%2022-28-02.jpg

Grunt
05/17/2009, 12:10 AM
Mine were breeding in a standard 90gal. Had 2 bimacs and 4 dispar. Fed 4-5 times a day. The bimac male was the dominant anthias of the group. No real aggression noted besides when they would begin their mating ritual around 330-530ish. He would just keep the others away from her as he tried to seduce her to the top.

Other inhabitants were a clarkii pair and a spotted mandarin pair. Kept temp at 80...salinity at 1.026.

64Ivy
05/17/2009, 06:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15023313#post15023313 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ataller
I was planning on picking up 3-4 females and letting them decide which one will be male. Are you saying that if I do it this way multiples will turn male?

Adam

It's possible that more than one will become male. I don't know why this happens or what to do to prevent it. What I DO know is that currently, my shoal of 7 contains 3 males. There were four but one weakened and died some time ago. Also, one of the remaining three is blind in one eye due to injury and we're talking about a 500g tank with plenty of hiding places and dash holes.

ataller
05/17/2009, 06:46 AM
Great info from everyone so far. I really don't know what to do :)

Since no one so far has said keeping them in a 36x18x18 is absurd I guess it may be possible. Though on the other hand no one has said they have done it.

You might try a pair...and see how that works, as long as you have a backup if they dont get along. I think that most deepwater anthias don't school like the bartletts and lyretails, and from what I've observed, this seems to be true of bimacs...my trio doesn't really school together. Here's a few pics:

I suppose I could always try and just remove them and sell/return if there is a problem. It is also interesting that your three don't really pay much attention to each other, I was under the impression that though they don't really schoal they still kept together.

Also, fantastic pictures, if you are trying to convince me not to get a pair / trio you should not post pictures of such beautiful fish :)

Adam

LobsterOfJustice
05/17/2009, 08:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15025462#post15025462 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 64Ivy
It's possible that more than one will become male. I don't know why this happens or what to do to prevent it. What I DO know is that currently, my shoal of 7 contains 3 males. There were four but one weakened and died some time ago. Also, one of the remaining three is blind in one eye due to injury and we're talking about a 500g tank with plenty of hiding places and dash holes.

I suspect this may be due to the size of your tank. I would assume females begin to turn to males at a certain stocking density (i.e. number per space, not just number).

ataller
05/17/2009, 09:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15026015#post15026015 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice
I suspect this may be due to the size of your tank. I would assume females begin to turn to males at a certain stocking density (i.e. number per space, not just number).

Are you thinking that since they had a 500g tank to live in, they could each establish their own seperate area, and since they each had their own area, more were able to turn male since there were no other competeing males in the area?

Meaning that in a smaller tank, since they are forced to live together only one will become male?

Adam

LobsterOfJustice
05/19/2009, 10:37 AM
Pretty much, but not necessarily based on establishing territory. I would assume the presence of males suppresses the sex change, and in a larger tank one or two males just doesnt provide enough "presence" to prevent females from changing.

I have two bimac females in my 90 mixed in with a few lyretails (one of which is male). They eat anything and seem fairly hardy.

ataller
05/19/2009, 11:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15038753#post15038753 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice
Pretty much, but not necessarily based on establishing territory. I would assume the presence of males suppresses the sex change, and in a larger tank one or two males just doesnt provide enough "presence" to prevent females from changing.

I have two bimac females in my 90 mixed in with a few lyretails (one of which is male). They eat anything and seem fairly hardy.

So in terms of aggression and or overall happiness do you think two bimacs are fine? Do you think yours do well since there are other anthias? If there were only bimacs would you have done more? Say 3? Or 4?

Since my tank is relatively quite small, I would love to have two, but I think I could manage three if it would be more appropriate.

Adam

SDguy
05/19/2009, 12:13 PM
I personally think the tank is too small for bimacs. I have an adult lyretail in my 4' 115g, and he seems cramped when he tries to do his male swimming moves during lights on or lights out. And bimacs get even bigger....

I'd look into bartletts, dispar (less hardy), or actually, fatheads would be awesome for your tank, IMO.

ataller
05/19/2009, 01:08 PM
Fatheads are great. They seem to get the same size also 5 inches. Do they not require much swimming room? Are they reculsive? Are they active enough to enjoy?

Adam

SDguy
05/19/2009, 01:26 PM
You are correct, they do not flutter around like batletts or dispars.

LobsterOfJustice
05/19/2009, 05:35 PM
Fatheads only get ~2" I believe.

SDguy
05/19/2009, 06:30 PM
Na...fatheads can get like the palm of your hand. Quite impressive when that large, since they are taller, and more laterally compressed than Pseudanthias species.

LobsterOfJustice
05/19/2009, 07:38 PM
Huh, I stand corrected. I have one and I had no idea :p

LobsterOfJustice
05/19/2009, 07:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15039013#post15039013 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ataller
So in terms of aggression and or overall happiness do you think two bimacs are fine? Do you think yours do well since there are other anthias? If there were only bimacs would you have done more? Say 3? Or 4?

Since my tank is relatively quite small, I would love to have two, but I think I could manage three if it would be more appropriate.

Adam

Mine aren't aggressive really, though the larger of the two chases the smaller. I would have done more if there weren't lyretails since my goal is to have a small group. I don't think more than two would be good for a smaller tank though.

I'm not sure how I feel about them in a smaller tank. One of mine spends significant time facing into the current and remaining relatively stationary (the smaller one) - not all the time though. The larger is more active.

Do you like resplendent anthias? They are smaller.

ataller
05/19/2009, 08:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15041964#post15041964 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice
Mine aren't aggressive really, though the larger of the two chases the smaller. I would have done more if there weren't lyretails since my goal is to have a small group. I don't think more than two would be good for a smaller tank though.

I'm not sure how I feel about them in a smaller tank. One of mine spends significant time facing into the current and remaining relatively stationary (the smaller one) - not all the time though. The larger is more active.

Do you like resplendent anthias? They are smaller.

K Bimacs are out. They will be on the "to get" list if / when I end up with a huge tank.

Resplendent are nice, it seems they are recommended for a larger tank though by various websites out there.

I do like dispars as well, which stay pretty small and aren't aggressive like Bartlett's.

So right now I am either thinking a couple fatheads, or 3-4 dispars. I like the look of the fatheads more (they tend to look more like the borbos and bimacs) though the activity of the dispars swimming in the vortechs would be nice.

*Summary*
Do either of those (dispar or fathead) seem like two reasonable options out there, to live with some fairy and flasher wrasses in the 36x18x18 with a couple vortechs for lots of flow?

Adam