PDA

View Full Version : New set up, rock cook or cycle?

Overland04
05/16/2009, 12:57 PM
On my new bare bottom sps 50g I'm using about 50lbs of my rock from my 125 mixed reef. Over the years the rock has gone through some algae outbreaks and might have some unwanted critters on them.
Since rock cooking and new set-up cycling take about the same time I was wondering if its better to just put the rock in the new tank and let it sit untouched for 6 weeks or stick it in the container for 6 weeks and do the cooking thing?

PRDubois
05/16/2009, 02:32 PM
Is the rock covered with algae now and look like hell?

If so Cook it. If not just use it.

PS. If you dont cook the rock and you just put it in the 50 gal with 30 gal of water from your large tank and 20gal new SW
You wont have to worry about a cycle it will be as if you just moved a tank and you can start stocking it.

reefnetworth
05/16/2009, 02:39 PM
in a new set-up it is going to go through the alga and probably diatom outbreak.
i would just let it be and go with the natural cycle of a SW tank.

Aquarist007
05/16/2009, 03:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15022773#post15022773 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefnetworth
in a new set-up it is going to go through the alga and probably diatom outbreak.
i would just let it be and go with the natural cycle of a SW tank.

I agree because alot of other processes and cycles are being established in a new tank during the cycling of bacteria.
eg buffering system, establishment of plankton/carbon cycle ect

Aquarist007
05/16/2009, 03:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15022748#post15022748 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PRDubois
Is the rock covered with algae now and look like hell?

If so Cook it. If not just use it.

PS. If you dont cook the rock and you just put it in the 50 gal with 30 gal of water from your large tank and 20gal new SW
You wont have to worry about a cycle it will be as if you just moved a tank and you can start stocking it.

Paul--I believe we might be mixing the terms cooking live rock and cycling it externally in a tub?

PRDubois
05/16/2009, 03:20 PM
If he has 50lb of rock in a established tank then he does not need to cycle it.

His question is:
Should he Cook the rock to get rid of past algae issues and unwanted creatures.

My answer is:
If the rock looks like hell NOW then he might want to Cook it to Kill everything on it. Not cycle it but Cook it then Cycle it.

But:
It the rock is not bad right now.
Then:
He should just but the 50# of rock in the 50gal tank.
Take 30 gal of water from the 125 and use it in the 50 gal
top off with 20gal of new SW.

He will have almost no cycle.

It will be as if he had a 50 gal all the time and he just did a 40% water change.

Overland04
05/16/2009, 03:48 PM
I guess depending on who's standards to go by I'm gonna say the rock looks ok. Its been in my 125 for 7 years. I keep getting cactus algae and spindle weed breakouts every once and a while and I didn't want to bring it to my new tank. I'm trying to select only rock that I like but I'm sure some bad algae will make the journey.

I was hoping that because its a new setup, new location, new RO/DI, new reactors, and new tank that the bad algae would starve and die just like the rock cooking.

cdbias2
05/16/2009, 05:42 PM
Put that rock in a dark trash can with SW/heater and powerhead now. This way you'll be ready in a couple of months. TOTAL darkness will kill most of your pest and you could star anew with relatively few pest and cured rock.

Overland04
05/16/2009, 05:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15023429#post15023429 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cdbias2
Put that rock in a dark trash can with SW/heater and powerhead now. This way you'll be ready in a couple of months. TOTAL darkness will kill most of your pest and you could star anew with relatively few pest and cured rock. (AKA Rock cooking?)

Aquarist007
05/16/2009, 06:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15023442#post15023442 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Overland04
(AKA Rock cooking?)

agreed;) or aka curing rock remotely

Overland04
05/16/2009, 06:27 PM
I guess the dilemma is that I have the tank fully setup already and I didn't want to have a tank running for 6 weeks with nothing in it while the rock cooks. So I'm tempted to just put all the rock in, but I don't want to start off on a bad foot.

Aquarist007
05/16/2009, 06:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15023611#post15023611 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Overland04
I guess the dilemma is that I have the tank fully setup already and I didn't want to have a tank running for 6 weeks with nothing in it while the rock cooks. So I'm tempted to just put all the rock in, but I don't want to start off on a bad foot.

you can put the new live rock in a tub with normal tank parameters---do daily water changes and it will probably cycle enough bacteria in a week or two;)

Overland04
05/16/2009, 06:53 PM
I can do a full rock cooking with my rocks from my 125g in two weeks? I'm only using the rock from my 125 nothing new.

cdbias2
05/16/2009, 07:46 PM
I think your trying to accomplish too much in two weeks. If you could rid your rock of pest in 2 weeks, and keep it cycled, two thirds of these post wouldn't be here and this would be a real easy hobby.
Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

Overland04
05/16/2009, 07:52 PM
I'm not trying to accomplish anything in two weeks, I was just asking if what "capn_hylinur" mentioned was true. I have all summer to do this. I just don't want to waste time rock cooking if putting the rocks in my 50g display tank right out of my 125g will have the same effects after 6 weeks.

Agu
05/16/2009, 09:08 PM
Before putting the rock in a new tank put it in a bucket of water change water from the old tank. Scrape off any visible nuisance algae, blow out any crud in the openings with a turkey baster/powerhead, and generally clean detritus off the rock.

When putting it in the new tank rotate it several times under water to remove any air bubbles as a result of moving it twice.

Odds are you'll have no cycle and after a week or two of no ammonia you can start stocking the tank.

BTW, check the cleaning water before disposing of it. You'll probably find several pods/worms/etc that you'll want to return to either tank.

Been there, done that, they don't sell a T-Shirt though ;) .

Aquarist007
05/16/2009, 09:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15023998#post15023998 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Overland04
I'm not trying to accomplish anything in two weeks, I was just asking if what "capn_hylinur" mentioned was true. I have all summer to do this. I just don't want to waste time rock cooking if putting the rocks in my 50g display tank right out of my 125g will have the same effects after 6 weeks.

I think agu just validated my statement;)

Salamander
05/17/2009, 01:52 AM
Cooking rock can't be done quick. It takes many months (3+). Six weeks won't accomplish squat.