PDA

View Full Version : which fish for frag tank?

reefpatrol3
05/16/2009, 01:24 PM
I have two frag tanks that I am setting up.
Each tank is 72" x 24" x 12" high. The tanks are going to be for frags only, but I was wondering what would be the best fish to put in there to help with maintenance ? The tanks are open on the top with just a 1" eurobrace all the way around. Each tank has two tunze 6100s so there is a lot of flow also.

Zegg
05/16/2009, 08:45 PM
Mainly something to take care of flatworms etc even if you dip/qt eveything before going in, theres always a chance. So need a wrasse IMO, I like yellow coris wrasse. Need algae cleanup crew that isnt goign to just plow over everything(turbo snails). Thus using a smaller smaller tang(I like Mimic Tangs), Lawnmower Blenny, and a sea slug(not a seahare slug) seems to do the trick on cleaning up a lot.

Well thats what I would use. Would be curious to what others might say.

Plankt0s
05/17/2009, 12:16 AM
I like seahares, I would also add some big tangs, they make lots of nutritious coral food. :)

bdepp
05/17/2009, 06:07 AM
We use Scopaz Tangs and Twospot Bristletooth Tangs. We also have a wrasse in each tank that deal with any nasties.

other fish to use would be Barred Rabbitfish to eat algae. We had blennies which were good but they decided they didn't like water anymore (silly things)

reefpatrol3
05/17/2009, 06:44 AM
thanks for the replys everyone......

would the yellow coris wrasse be ok with no sand in the tank? I guess i could always put a small container with sand in the corner but im not sure it would stay there with all the flow.

dsoz
05/18/2009, 11:28 PM
Are you attaching a refugium to the tank? Coral make waste (not as much as a fish), and the pods that are produced could serve as benificial coral food.

You can have one section of your tank with sand in it. That way you can put things in the sandbed. Besides nassarius snails are good to eat left-over fish and coral food.

As for fish, I won't have a tank without a lawnmower blenney, or a tang. Usually a yellow or a scopas. They love to eat algae.

+1 for wrasse. Either a 6 line or a yellow. Good for pest control.

Turbo snails are nasty and tip everything over. But they are an evil that must be endured. They help out a lot. Get a few of the other types of snails too. I like nerite and astrea.

dsoz

pipper
05/19/2009, 08:56 AM
I would say a Fox-Face Lo and a 6 line wrasse + a boat load of astrea snails

IronMdnX
05/19/2009, 09:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15038088#post15038088 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pipper
I would say a Fox-Face Lo and a 6 line wrasse + a boat load of astrea snails

I was just going to suggest the same thing..

madean
05/22/2009, 10:53 PM
What do people think about bumble bee snails-small with a hefty appetite?