PDA

View Full Version : Recent power outage

gibson981
05/16/2009, 06:59 PM
A couple of nights ago, one phase of my house's power went out. The phase that went out affected my living room, which is where my tank is located. The power company came out and looked inside the meter box and told me what was wrong and that it was just inside the point where it became my responsibility. This was just after midnight and about 3 1/2 hours after the problem started. The next morning, I called an electrician. By the time he came out and fixed the problem, the tank had been without power for about 16 hours. I was still at work. My wife was at home. I couldn't really explain to her, over the phone, what to plug in where concerning the tank. So, it was another 4 hours or so before I could get home and turn everything on the tank back on. Once I got everything going, I looked at the thermometer. It said the temp was 68 degrees farenheit. That was about 26 or so hours ago now. Looking at the thermometer now, it says 81, which is what it normally says at this time of day. Everything looks like it normally did before the power problem. The only thing I see that is different is the fact that the red cotton algae I have had is getting thinner. Of course, that could be mostly to do with the fact that I added 3 Mexican Turbos a week ago. Anyway, do I need to worry about the fact that the temp got down to 68 degrees and then 24 hours later, it is back up to 81 for a high?

400M1963
05/16/2009, 07:48 PM
Keep a watchful eye. My assumption is at least some of your livestock is stressed out, but you may be lucky. We weren't - since we were on vacation*. Only things like tongue coral survived the crises.

*Lightning hit a nearby junction box a few years ago.

JKDMan
05/16/2009, 09:02 PM
my power went out for 3 days due to big storms in the area all was fine... u may have caused stress due to the temp swing..just keep a eye on things

mario4254
05/16/2009, 09:06 PM
i would consider getting a small battery backup so you can keep tank stable and have some water movement inthere