PDA

View Full Version : dumb question

billysanborn
05/16/2009, 07:26 PM
hey, i just want to double check with you guys before i do this. I have my P. Ciliata in a 12g eclipse with a small skimmer and a koralia nano powerhead, im thinking about taking the filter setup that came with the eclipse off so i can free up some space. what do you think? on my 35 hex all i have is a skimmer with a power head but im not sure on the smaller system. thanks in advance

Tangalong
05/16/2009, 08:46 PM
billy, it depends on how much bio-load you have in your 12 Gal. Do you feed regularly? Is there enough circulation going on in your tank? Do you think your skimmer does the job well enough without the filter? Have you been using the filter ? Why not run some charcoal in it? Be sure to rinse it before using it in your tank (charcoal). Not really sure what you want.

Mentat
05/17/2009, 06:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15023883#post15023883 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billysanborn
... im thinking about taking the filter setup that came with the eclipse off so i can free up some space. what do you think?...
Isn't the Eclipse filter system integrated on top? Not sure understand how removing it will free-up space in tank.

helipilot
05/18/2009, 09:30 AM
I have a small Chig in a eclipse 12. I modified the eclipse 12 by removeing the original filter but than I added an AquaClear 30 as a hob filter. It works very well and gives much more access to the tank with no filter to remove to access the tank.

billysanborn
05/18/2009, 10:10 AM
the eclipse filter kinda clips onto the frame on the top of the tank. i dont think it offers very good filtration and the biowheel gets frozen about twice a week, im sick of messing with it and want to 86 it. im debating a hob powerfilter or a hob fuge. havent quite decided, bioload is pretty low, just my small chiagra.