PDA

View Full Version : Anemone and temerature. Shriveled up.

Ktreece
05/16/2009, 08:03 PM
I've had an anemone for about a week now. The other day, after owning the anemone for about 3 days I discovered that my heater in the tank was possibly too small. It still never phased him, he was always full bloomed out. I purchased a new heater and have kept the temperature at around 80F. All my fish seem more active. Today, before we went to eat, I put the heat at around 77F and we left. I got back and we couldn't find the anemone. We finally found him very tiny and shriveled up under a live rock. I am wondering if this has to do with the temperature change? Is he too cold now? Or does the temperature not have anything to do with this problem?

Ktreece
05/16/2009, 08:07 PM
I also failed to mention that I did put some red slime remover in the tank earlier today as well.

snorvich
05/16/2009, 08:09 PM
More likely the red slime remover . . . but changing the setting on your heater is not a good idea as it won't accomplish anything good.

Ktreece
05/16/2009, 08:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15024084#post15024084 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
More likely the red slime remover . . .

I read all over the box and it didn't mention any cautions. Is it just bothering him? Is it bad for him?

PRDubois
05/16/2009, 08:14 PM
Turn the temp back up he will be fine.

Ktreece
05/16/2009, 08:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15024106#post15024106 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PRDubois
Turn the temp back up he will be fine.

What temp is too warm? what's too cold?

SHAKEEL
05/16/2009, 09:45 PM
my anemone still shrinks from time to time while expelling waste i had two anemone when i first started my tank and lets just say that one shrunk up and i thought is was dead soo lets just say he was flushed but i will be fine.

acrouse
05/16/2009, 11:09 PM
A good temperature range is 78-80 degrees. Remember a stable temp is what you need to try and maintain to keep everything happy. Your tank will warm up after lights on all day, and may cool off 1-2 degrees at night. Not necessary to keep adjusting your heater for this, as it is hard on your corals and fish.

Just check your high temp (after your lights have been on all day) and if thats too high, then move heater down 1 degree and wait a day or two for the water to adjust. If still too high, then repeat down 1 degree, until you get the right high temp. Then hopefully you temps will stabilize and you wont need many adjustments until your inside house temp changes. Heat from summer, or cool from air conditioner.
Just try and make it a habit to check temps everytime you go by your aquarium in case something happens and temps change. The stick on strip thermometer is good to use for this, but not good to make it your only thermometer. Just easy to use at a quick glance when walking by.

all your fish and corals will appreciate a stable temp!!
jolene

greenbean36191
05/17/2009, 05:54 AM
Somewhere between 76-86 is a good temperature with an average of about 82.

A stable temp is not desirable and there is no reason to believe it benefits fish or corals. I really wish this myth would die already.

EnglishRebel
05/17/2009, 08:30 AM
I agree on the expelling water idea. My readings on anemones is that from time to time they expel all the water that is contained inside their structure which causes them to shrivel. Post in the Clownfish and Anemone forum for a more definitive answer.