PDA

View Full Version : Aggresive Banggai

steve_1111uk
05/17/2009, 02:02 PM
Two days ago I added a pair of Banggai Cardinals to my aquarium one of them seemed to fit in nicely eating straight away and swimming round. The other sat behind the rocks hiding away gasping for air. At first I thought he may have flukes so I segragated him in my sump. After giving him a fresh water bath and allowing him time to recover I put him back into my display tank to see the other cardinal attacking him untill he once again hid behind the rocks. Hes now back in the sump. Is this normal as I thought cardinals are quite a community fish? could it be I have two males or females thats why they are not getting on?

Zaita
05/17/2009, 02:53 PM
Clearly you didn't research this fish before purchasing.
Bangaii are intolerant of conspecifics. And will fight to the death.

Bangaii can live peacefully as M/F and F/F. But M/M will fight until one, or both are dead.

steve_1111uk
05/17/2009, 03:01 PM
I research enough to know its almost impossible to sex them and your only option is to try them together and see if they pair. Admittedly I didnt know they fought but last time I had a breeding pair I was lucky enough to get it right first time.

Steve

Zaita
05/17/2009, 03:01 PM
You can sex them with a high quality photo showing the anal area.

steve_1111uk
05/17/2009, 03:12 PM
What about looking at them in dealers tank? Not visable to naked eye?

Steve

bj32482
05/17/2009, 05:33 PM
how did you segregate them if you can't see any differences?

Segregation means to separate by difference, I am just wondering how you did this....they are both the same species and look identical...

Zaita
05/17/2009, 08:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15027485#post15027485 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by steve_1111uk
What about looking at them in dealers tank? Not visable to naked eye?

Steve

Not unless fully mature. But even then it's very difficult.

jewels_of_sea
05/17/2009, 11:48 PM
yeah i seen them being very aggressive against each other and other small fish

steve_1111uk
05/18/2009, 01:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15028191#post15028191 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bj32482
how did you segregate them if you can't see any differences?

Segregation means to separate by difference, I am just wondering how you did this....they are both the same species and look identical...

What a totally useless post thanks this really helps with my question, If I want an english lesson ill go back to school. BTW (thats short for "by the way" just incase you would like to pull me up on that) I segregated them on the differance being one was bullying the other one was fine the other was scared and hiding that was the differance is that ok?

Thanks to you other guys with usefull info.

Regards Steve

bj32482
05/18/2009, 05:52 AM
Wasn't trying to be a smart a$$...I was just confused....I have thought about getting a pair of cardinals and have read the information about sexing. Apparently there are subtle differences between male and female and when you said that you segregated them I became confused.