PDA

View Full Version : Can I throw worms into my tank?

fishaman
05/17/2009, 07:42 PM
I just had a thought. It's raining right now and worms are coming out of the dirt. Can I throw a worm into my tank, which consists of a foxface, 4 clowns, blenny, scooter, diamond, crabs, etc.

Thoughts?

SaltyDr
05/17/2009, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't. It's not what they normally would eat. Now, if you had a bass or bluegill in the tank... Years back when I had an oscar, I would feed him earthworms. He would devour them. They would try to wiggle out of his mouth like a spaghetti noodle. It was a hoot. That fish could shove 5 or more goldfish in his mouth at the same time. He would also jump clear out of the tank to catch a fish if I held a fish over the water, like at Seaworld.

kraze3
05/17/2009, 08:59 PM
They would probably eat them but Im sure they lack the nutrition and vitamins that store bought fish food would have. Not worth the hassle of getting and cutting them up IMO.

alextheromanian
05/17/2009, 10:33 PM
ehhh ive heard of people feeding their fish blood worms but actual earth worms...youd have to dice up...and idk if its even good for them i mean fresh water fish love them but two things can happen.

well 3

a) your fish eat and love it
b) your fish dont eat and then you have to retrieve it
c) your fish can eat it ...become zombies break trough the glass and come after your brains

considering option C ...i would let the earth worms enjoy the wet sidewalk

jmadison
05/17/2009, 10:41 PM
I feed with live black worms...

jmadison
05/17/2009, 10:48 PM
and they love 'em.

Toddrtrex
05/18/2009, 12:16 AM
I personally wouldn't feed earthworms. Remembering back from my high school biology class, they were mostly dirt. Who knows what was in that dirt, pesticides, and/or fertilizer.

Juruense
05/18/2009, 06:17 AM
I would never consider putting earthworms in my salt water tank.

Greysoul
05/18/2009, 09:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15030092#post15030092 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alextheromanian

a) your fish eat and love it
b) your fish dont eat and then you have to retrieve it
c) your fish can eat it ...become zombies break trough the glass and come after your brains

considering option C ...i would let the earth worms enjoy the wet sidewalk

You forgot Option D: Upon hitting salt water the Earthworm undergoes rapid and dramatic physiological mutation, growing to be 24" long and about 2" in diameter. It build a small Lazy-boy recliner in one corner of the tank, dons glasses and a cane, then proceeds to yell at your fish for swimming in his home, and how would you like it if you had fish swimming around while YOU were trying to sleep. 2 weeks later the Worm further mutates into a puppy with proto-gills and eats all your fish before climbing out of the tank and devouring your brain.

And then it totally starts hitting on your girlfriend, but when she turns down the wormpuppy it decides to date your mom instead.

Clearly, I think the risks far out weigh the possible dietary variety. And your fish aren't Anthony Bourdain, they will be happy with the same food day in and day out.

Aquarist007
05/18/2009, 09:39 AM
earthworms as fresh water fish do not contain the necessary vitamins and minerals that marine fish and black worms do--which is mainly in the guts/fish oils of those respective creatures.
It is a very good idea to feed whole fish/live fish and critters to your tank for that reason.
Black worms and brine shrimp you can raise yourself and you can purchase silverside minnows(which are marine) if not close enough to catch them yourself

WaterKeeper
05/18/2009, 09:58 AM
My biggest caution would be that earthworms will contain soil in their guts with things like lawn fertilizer or pesticide residues. I imagine the worms themselves would provide some nutrition but the risk of adding a contaminant outweighs the benefit.

Aquarist007
05/18/2009, 01:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15031868#post15031868 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
My biggest caution would be that earthworms will contain soil in their guts with things like lawn fertilizer or pesticide residues. I imagine the worms themselves would provide some nutrition but the risk of adding a contaminant outweighs the benefit.

not according to our friend PaulB:D

Michael
05/18/2009, 02:14 PM
well its not natural food is it? so i wouldnt feed my fish with earth worms

WaterKeeper
05/18/2009, 02:16 PM
I'm pretty sure they would have nutrition but only if they were farm raised or you were sure they had not burrowed though soil that has been treated with a grub killer or other chemical. I'm not into worm farms myself. ;)

Larah
05/18/2009, 02:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15030446#post15030446 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
I personally wouldn't feed earthworms. Remembering back from my high school biology class, they were mostly dirt. Who knows what was in that dirt, pesticides, and/or fertilizer.

Looks like you nailed it Todd! :)

camlov2
05/18/2009, 03:18 PM
When I was younger I had a bluegill in a 20 gallon. I would feed it earthworms. I would hold one end and it would grab the other. You could lift the fish out of the water by the worm.

WaterKeeper
05/18/2009, 03:47 PM
I'm not too sure how many earthworms wash out to the reef, however. :D

RiOnRoxXx
05/18/2009, 05:11 PM
California Black Worms. Recommended by Paul B. I'm going to try this practice pretty soon. He brought up this topic during a local club meeting here at west.

Aquarist007
05/18/2009, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15033759#post15033759 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by camlov2
When I was younger I had a bluegill in a 20 gallon. I would feed it earthworms. I would hold one end and it would grab the other. You could lift the fish out of the water by the worm. [/QUOTe

the grandkids caught 25 of them today with earth worms--and I caught a 20 inch northern pike---but they are fresh water fish camlov;)

blazing
05/18/2009, 05:58 PM
So is it safe to feed black worms? I have 2 picasso clowns and I want to feed them black worms but don't know if I should. I was feeding my freshwater convict frys black worms and notice they were growning faster.