PDA

View Full Version : Alkalinity

kaddy522
05/18/2009, 04:11 PM
Need some help with Alkalinity. I have used Red Sea Test Kit, and I have used Salifer. Both say that the Alkalinity is way to high. I was wondering if anyone knew of a solution on taking this down to where it should be. The Store says to keep doing water changes and I have for two months, and that is not working. The Calcium was up to 700 when they tested it, but I am also going to get another tester for that to double check. How can I get these to stabilize to the correct spots.

Thank you

reefergeorge
05/18/2009, 04:26 PM
What salt are you using?

divewsharks
05/18/2009, 04:49 PM
what are the water change water parameters reading?

qfrisco
05/19/2009, 12:40 PM
Both Alkalinity and Calcium will drop on their own if just left alone. If you've been doing water changes, a lot depends on how much Calcium and Alk your salt mix has. If they are high, then water changes will keep them from dropping (they can't get any higher than the parameters of your water change water).

As has already been asked, what kind of salt are you using? Also, test your water change water and see what Alk and Calcium parameters it has.

scottwhitson
05/19/2009, 12:43 PM
Are you running a calcium reactor? I can't believe that any fresh salt mix would have a calcium of 700.

snorvich
05/19/2009, 02:45 PM
Get some test kits (I use Elos) and do your own testing. 700 is unlikely.