PDA

View Full Version : Stand Pipe Debate

dodwyer
05/18/2009, 11:03 PM
How tall is your stand pipe and why?? I am about to go wet with a 120 gal center overflow and the debate is on for how high the stand pipe should be, care to post your opinion??

d_signr
05/18/2009, 11:13 PM
newb....

dodwyer
05/18/2009, 11:15 PM
Slow poke

ddinox64
05/18/2009, 11:32 PM
That's a good, no, great question. I find tons of sites dedicated to make your own this, that and the others standpipes. But unable to find one that says "If your tank is this tall, make your standpipe this tall".

I was aiming for a "Herbie" but built a "Durso". It is virtually quiet but I still have bubbles entering sump unlike I see or read about in threads and my drain is under water. So it must be coming from vent tube.

I will say that the emergency drain standpipe(level with bottom of overflow grooves) works like a charm. Happy to say a wet floor should never happen in my house. Unless the dog isn't let out.

Do you guys work together? Architect and a draftsman. Fishing/ the ocean. Fun girls and two legged tuna.

dodwyer
05/18/2009, 11:36 PM
good catch - yea we are buddies - tell us more on the wet floor so we can learn.

mnml
05/19/2009, 09:48 AM
Maybe this will help:

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/faq/44-how-tall-does-the-standpipe-need-to-be

d34532
05/19/2009, 10:00 AM
If you also have a small space (overflow box) and want a larger hole(drain) you can go with a stockman pipe stand, which just a little larger then the bulkhead footprint. As for the height from teeth to the height of the pipe I would say it should be not be lower then 2 maybe 3 inch from the teeth unless you like the sound of a waterfall.

The more the water have to drop from the teeth to the waterline in your overflow box be how loud your waterfall be.

laverda
05/19/2009, 10:02 AM
Mine is about an inch or two below my overflow to keep noise down. Most people are amazed at how quite my 240 is. Almost everyone that comes over says something about it. PVC is cheap and you should not need to glue what is in the overflow so try a couple different lengths and see what works for you.

Jadams
05/19/2009, 10:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15038514#post15038514 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by laverda
Mine is about an inch or two below my overflow to keep noise down. Most people are amazed at how quite my 240 is. Almost everyone that comes over says something about it. PVC is cheap and you should not need to glue what is in the overflow so try a couple different lengths and see what works for you.

+1

And yes, Steve's 240 is very quite!! I would use this method aswell...

ddinox64
05/20/2009, 12:11 AM
I have 1" bulkheads and went with 1 and 1/4" pvc.

No wet floors unless I spill or dog isn't let out. I've done numerous tests on my overflow, my sump can handle every bit of drainage from display if all fails. I have two drains in a center overflow box and only used one for main drain. Other is for emergency only like Herbie.

I guess I have a Herbie Durso combo.

dodwyer
05/20/2009, 06:04 PM
Okay - after all of your input I have built two styles of stand pipes. One is the Durso & the other a Stockman. I went ahead and added an adjustable air valve to each design instead of the drilling hole method.

Here is the Stockman version

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/5221/208841My_Stockman.jpg

And the Durso

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/5221/208841My_Durso.jpg

What version would you choose and why??

d34532
05/21/2009, 01:51 AM
hehehe my vote is the stockman as you can see the require a smaller footprint so you can have a larger drain and a smaller overflow box.

dodwyer
05/21/2009, 07:59 AM
I'm with you right now, the Durso is very large. I wonder now if there is a significant difference in the noise level.

SDguy
05/21/2009, 10:32 AM
You could make your durso smaller by using a street elbow.

Mine is also just a couple inches below my overflow teeth.

dodwyer
05/21/2009, 12:21 PM
Street Elbow???

What section of the plumbing dept do I find that?

d34532
05/21/2009, 03:20 PM
my stockman made no noise that I notice. There were other equipment that made noise like mj1200 on a wave master (clicking noise) and other small humming noise from mh ballast, pumps, skimmer, etc. If any noise it was very very minor even when I worked on the tank next to the overflow box.

golfish
05/21/2009, 04:51 PM
I've always used the Stockman....they fit better in the overflow but are a little harder to put together.

Lo0seR
05/21/2009, 10:54 PM
I feel this method of standpipe is far and away the easiest and most effective out there.

Hofer Gurgle Buster
http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/index.html

dodwyer
05/21/2009, 11:23 PM
Okay a new option enters the picture, The HGB. I will construct one and see how it competes against the others.

Thanks

True Blue
05/26/2009, 11:19 AM
Have you tried any of them out yet?
I'm curios to see how they compete...
I'm currently building my 80 Gal tank and am planning on trying the HGB because of space issues...
Durso has worked well for me in the past... but is not a option because of my overflow.

dodwyer
05/26/2009, 01:07 PM
I need to construct the HGB - was out of town for a few days. The test results will ba a few weeks away as I am waiting on some parts before I add water.

jefathome
05/26/2009, 02:37 PM
I have used the HGB and I had pretty good results.

Try using rigid airline tubing instead of the soft. You want the tube to be centered and the airline has a tendency to shift to one side or another due to slight bends in it.

That being said, for my new tank I had two holes drilled... a 1in and a 1.25. The 1in is used as a full spiphon and has the outlet fully submerged in the sump so it is DEAD QUIET. This pipe is about 1.5in below the teeth on the overflow and I use a gate valve to adjust the strength/volume of the siphon. I adjust it so that it handles just UNDER the full volume needed. For example if my return puts out a true 500gph, this siphon is set to handle 497g.

The remaining 3gph or so gently trickes down the 1.25in overflow and makes no noise as it goes down. I used the larger pipe for this so that if the full siphon on the 1in fails, this pipe can more than handle the full load. This pipe is even with the teeth in the overflow and allows the siphon on the other one to not create a vortex and pull in air.

Result = Dead silent, easy to adjust (though seldom needed), offers full protection in case the main drain gets a clog, and fits into a very small area (no 90's or T's).

Jflip2002
05/26/2009, 02:52 PM
Id make it about 1" shorter than the overflow. You dont want to hear that water falling too far, right? I had the set up on my 112 and my 190

ddinox64
05/26/2009, 03:02 PM
Street L is next row of parts down. I cut the female part of the T in half and also the male part of the street L. Much more compact.

Instead of drilling one large hole(1/4"). Drill small ones until you get it dialed in.

dodwyer
06/02/2009, 02:44 PM
Okay - sorry for the time lapse, life gets in the way sometimes. So I built the HGB today, below is the link that I was sent and my version in real life. You will see that I have increased the sizes to match up with my overflow.

The tank is still dry, was waiting on a skimmer I thought I bought but it fell thru. Once the skimmer is in I can complete the custom sump and fill the tank.

Hofer Gurgle Buster
http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertso.../HGB/index.html

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/5221/208841HGB_Stand_Pipe_001.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/5221/208841HGB_Stand_Pipe_002.jpg

805reef
06/02/2009, 03:02 PM
i made an HGB for my 180, i made it with 4 1" holes and the flow was way to fast and i made the holes to high, i am now using a 3 hole version with lower holes... i cant seem to get the air noise to quiet down though... i was using soft airline tubing though, so maybe i need some rigid tubing as suggested above. right now i have no tubing since that is quieter then with the soft tubing. its not too bad right now... but between that and the return water gushing out in my sump those are the 2 loudest parts of my tank.

xtm
06/02/2009, 06:20 PM
some things to consider...

- too low of a pipe and the "waterfall" will make a lot of noise
- too high of a pipe and your overflow box becomes stagnant (mine was able to raise about 50 nasty bristleworms)

I suggest you build it just so it's on the middle of the box. This way you can use a second pipe for emergency overflow--- this pipe is taller than your regular standpipe.

d_signr
06/02/2009, 06:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15122242#post15122242 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtm

I suggest you build it just so it's on the middle of the box. This way you can use a second pipe for emergency overflow--- this pipe is taller than your regular standpipe.

How do you put two standpipe in the overflow if you have only one hole for the drain and one for your return?

ddinox64
06/02/2009, 06:49 PM
What are the sizes of bulkheads in there? If the same you can do as above. One constant overflow and one energancy overflow. Then make returns over the back which will allow for easier anti syphon and returns on both sides.

dodwyer
07/30/2009, 10:26 PM
And the winner is............................

Hofer Gurgle Buster

by a land slide folks.

The Durso was okay but way too large, The Stockman was good but made a noise that did not happen with the HGB. The HGB is silent, no noise I could not be happier.

Hey I am looking to sell the two others if you would like to experiment for yourself, PM me.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/5221/208841HGB_Stand_Pipe_002.jpg

shikhyung
07/31/2009, 09:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15038514#post15038514 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by laverda
1-From which ref point, the top of the stand pipe or the opening of the T section?
Mine have noise because water drop from the teeth of the overflow, and the return is 900gph/after heigh loss.
2-what is your return pump gph?
Thanks,

d34532
07/31/2009, 12:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15447539#post15447539 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dodwyer
And the winner is............................

Hofer Gurgle Buster

Link doesn't work.

psykokid
07/31/2009, 01:30 PM
http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/

dodwyer
07/31/2009, 04:00 PM
shikhyung - I am running a Mag 9.5 (950 GPH) and the part the of the Durso that is too big is the width of the top. Too be fair I was told later that I could use a "street T" and make it shorter. I also run the stand pipe high in the overflow to avoid the "waterfall" noise from the return water coming thru the teeth.

shikhyung
08/01/2009, 07:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15451473#post15451473 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dodwyer
shikhyung - Too be fair I was told later that I could use a "street T" and make it shorter. I also run the stand pipe high in the overflow to avoid the "waterfall" noise from the return water coming thru the teeth.
Confuse! HGB does not have the T, correct? Can you post the pic? Thanks.

dodwyer
08/01/2009, 11:01 AM
shikhyung - I thought you asked what was too big on the Durso??? The picks are on page 1

shikhyung
08/01/2009, 12:47 PM
I see...So finally, you use the HGB..and you favor for it. What is the water level on that HGB style?