PDA

View Full Version : Stream Question...

Stix
03/15/2003, 11:24 AM
I want to add a Turbelle Stream to my tank to kill the dead spots behind my rockwork. My tank is 72x24x30h. I am planning on putting the stream on the back left wall and facing it to the right. There is an overflow box in the back right corner so I only have about 5 feet across the back where the stream will be blowing across. Is this ok? Is 5' too short? Should I not point it towards the overflow for some reason? Also, I don't have the money right now for the controller so I am just going to purpchase the stream. Can I buy the controller seperately at another time and will I be able to use my stream on it?
Thanx,
Nick

Stix
03/15/2003, 11:45 AM
I'm talking about the 6100 model.

Flatlander
03/15/2003, 05:34 PM
Stix,
My tanks identical to yours. I went with a pair of 6080 pumps. The flow is perfect. With one in the same position as yours, it was not to much 5ft away. Thats @ 2200gph, though.

Stix
03/15/2003, 06:30 PM
Thanx Doug! That saves me money!

Stix
03/15/2003, 07:32 PM
Doug, where are your 6080's located in your tank? Do you have them on a controller? Do the 6080s even have a controller? On the site I only see the controllers for the 6110s.

rvitko
03/15/2003, 09:10 PM
I think it would be a bad idea to place the Stream behind the rock. It defeats the purpose and the pump needs regular maintanence. I would place it in front of the rock blowing length wise and the broad turbulence, if the rock is sufficiently losey stacked, the flow will help sweep the detritus from the rock and benefit the overall flow. Remember the flow is high volume and very low pressure so obstacles drastically reduce the efficiency of the pump. You must be able to clean the pump every few months no matter where you position it so just keep that in mind. The 6080 would probably be sufficient, with the 6100 you get alot of nice features. In addition to more flow, the pump can be pulsed. No wavemaker operation of any kind is allowed on the 6080, it voids the warranty. The 6100 also has audible alarm notification in the event of a pump failure. The 6110 is simply a 6100 with a single controller included, but yes you could buy them seperate and the extra cost would be only $5.

oz
03/15/2003, 09:21 PM
rvitko,

I have a 55 gallon (4 feet lenght) , I want o get rid of my (3) powerheads.

I want to use your product. Which one would you recommend ?
And how many ? Please advise.

Thanks.

Stix
03/15/2003, 10:07 PM
Roger, my situation is a little different than you may be thinking. My tank is 24 inches wide and the rock is in the middle of that 24 inches. It isn't against the back wall. So I have as much room behind the rock that I do in front of it. This is causing a lot of algae back there which is why I want to add flow behind the rocks. I was thinking of adding two 6080s. One in the back blowing from left to right and one in the front blowing right to left. What do you think?

Flatlander
03/16/2003, 07:01 AM
Nick,
As Rodger says, no controller is used on the 6080 pumps. And the 6110 does have the feature of pulsing.

I have one on each end. One pushes water across the front of the reef and the other across the top. Blows lots of crap from the rock.

Another good point Rodger makes, is how gentle the flow is. IMO, thats one of the greatest features of the stream pumps. Lots of flow, but not abusive.

rvitko
03/16/2003, 09:17 AM
Stix, in the case you outline, it sounds like that would work very well. I might place one in front and one in back on opposite ends blowing the length of the tank.

Oz, What are you keeping? I would probably consider 1 or 2 7210 or 7310 pumps but it will depend on inhabitants.

Stix
03/16/2003, 10:38 AM
Thanx guys! I'm gonna go with the two 6080s for now. I think I'll have enough random current because of my two 1" sea swirls blowing perpendicular to the streams.

oz
03/16/2003, 06:43 PM
Oz, What are you keeping? I would probably consider 1 or 2 7210 or 7310 pumps but it will depend on inhabitants. [/B]

rvitko,
I have a 55 gallon reef tank with 2 perc clown, 2 yellow head jawfish, 2 blue/green chromis, 1 lawnmower blenny, 1 yellow tang, 8 corals and no anemone.

I look on your website, I did not see any 7210 or 7310 model of the turbelle stream.

I'm not interested in the conventional type pump/powerhead. I have those already.

Please advise.

rvitko
03/16/2003, 06:56 PM
A Stream 6000 would be marginally acceptable, depending on what you are keeping. Your tank is below normal Stream size. Our 7210 and 7310 powerheads puls and create a broad wave action they are not "regular powerheads." They use a 1" nozzle to create a broad flow. I think unless you are keeping primarily SPS corals in a high flow situation the Stream is simply too much. A 7310 will use as much power as one of your powerheads and pulse between 150 and 800gph every few seconds from a 1" nozzle so you will have good flow with numerous advantages over what you are using.

zebrasoma17
03/16/2003, 09:44 PM
Hey Nick:

We missed you at the LIRA meeting yesterday. Heard you went to BAS friday night. I've got a Stream 6100 for my 200 but it's not up and running yet. JB has one running on his 180. You might want to ask him for some input.

Al

P.S. As you can see, Roger is really helpful explaining things and getting you hooked up properly.

Stix
03/16/2003, 10:56 PM
Hey Al,
Yea, thanx, I'll ask JBNY then. How was the meeting? I heard it was great. I'm so upset I couldn't make it. Yea, BAS was OK. Nothing special, I prefer LIRA to tell you the truth.
-Nick

oz
03/17/2003, 11:30 AM
rvitko,

Thanks for your suggestions but I am interested in the Turbelle® stream, since it is the new current technology.

OK so my 55 gallon tank (of 4 feet in length) is below normal Stream size.

Will you be making a smaller model of the Turbelle stream that may be suitable for smaller tanks such as mine anytime soon ?

I was considering using the Reeftec but am willing to wait, if Tunze will be coming out with smaller Turbelle soon.

Thanks again.

rvitko
03/17/2003, 11:41 AM
A smaller Stream is pointless, if you go to about 1000gph from a 2" nozzle you have essentially no flow, their is no force to carry it, imagine if you had a 2" garden hose and how little pressure their would be. You couldn't get anything more than just a pouring effect. The technology is identical. A 6000 is a 7200 motor with only a propeller and some modifications, in fact a retro kit is available. A 6000 could work, but if it stirs up your sand bed I don't want any grief for it. My suggestion is ask some people who are using the product, a guy going by Melev bought a 7310 used and is running it in his 55 and he says it is to much and it took sometime to get used to it. This is 800gph. Your tank is very narrow and my concern is it will channel the flow of the Stream and dig a rut in your sand. The Streams were made to fill a niche for very high flow in very large aquariums and even then they are for specific types of reefs- SPS and or certain leather corals.