PDA

View Full Version : Sick Zoas - please offer treatment suggestions

kingsland
05/19/2009, 06:47 PM
The tank is primarily SPS and all parameters are well within normal ranges. I have been adding zoa frags to fill in the lower third of the tank over the last six months.

My zoas look terrible. Is there anything I can do to treat whatever this is. All of my other zoas are doing fine, but this is the second frag of this type that I have lost to the same problem. I can't get the white balance set correctly in the before picture so the color looks more blue in the photo than the zoas actually are. Thanks for your help.

Before:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa88/coralbabies/20090426_17.jpg

Today:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa88/coralbabies/sickzoas.jpg

650-IS350
05/19/2009, 10:06 PM
looks like fungus of sorts.

flyyyguy
05/20/2009, 01:13 AM
i would take a new scalpel or razor blade and completely sever teh mat in between theremainign somewhat healthy polyps and the sick ones, then, hopefully using a heavy duty razor blade, scrape the rock out from under them and mount them on another rock with super glue. any polyps that are defintely toast cut out and toss, and then swish both the polyps that still have the fungus,rot whatver it is as well as the newly mounted ones that dont show signs in a fairly heavy iodine solution. put back in tank with good flow.

monitor and hope for the best. most look like toast from here, but I wouldnt count them out quite yet

In concern to the polyps that look ok from here....if they have rot on the bases I would actually cut them above the rot, even if that means cutting the polyp straight up in half. Im serious. Odds are you will lose them, but you would be surprised sometimes. Make sure to mount them in enough glue that the wound is sealed and again...hope for the best and if you can even save one of them, at least you do retain the coral

GL

PRDubois
05/20/2009, 01:17 AM
You can try to dip this one in Iodine but you will probally need to Toss that one and make sure you dip any new ones you get.