PDA

View Full Version : Need clown advice...

reeflover7826
05/19/2009, 07:45 PM
I have a young pair of false percs I have a RBTA and a Sabea Ive had them for about 6 months and they still havent took to them. I was thinking of getting another pair I saw a pair of Saddlebacks and a pair of Black and Whites at my LFS the other day I dont want to get rid of my percs so is their any other type of clown that wont bother the percs I have now? any advice would be apreciated thank you.

ILLiDaN
05/19/2009, 08:23 PM
In a 55gallon its not advised most will tell you not to do it. Also depending if the nems are on opposite sides and one of the pairs would have to be on one end you would have minimal bickering but that's hit and miss and most likely the lunch time bickering could get out of hand. We are not here to tell you what you can and cannot do its really up to you. Just my 2 cents

Toddrtrex
05/19/2009, 09:19 PM
I personally wouldn't mix any pair of clowns with another pair in any averaged sized tank (( Might try it in a 300+ gallon tank )).

It might work for a while -- perhaps even up to a year --- but, in the end I see just one pair remaining.

If you do want to try it, be prepare to remove a pair if needed, which isn't always a fun thing to do.

jmking33
05/19/2009, 10:03 PM
Stick with the pair you have now. Ive heard several times of clowns taking more than a year to host in a nem. Even another year to breed. Have patience. Worse case, you sell or trade your current pair in another 6 months and then you get another pair.

reeflover7826
05/20/2009, 08:01 PM
You guys are awsome, very very good advice. I just saw a pair of black and whites and really wanted them you know how it is you see it you want it. thank you. :)

jmking33
05/20/2009, 09:44 PM
No problem...now where was that pair of black and whites for sale at??(just kidding)

candeewolf
05/21/2009, 06:52 AM
If you are having trouble getting them to host there are a couple tricks that I've heard SOMETIMES work:

move the rocks and/or the flow around. this can both get the anemones to move as well as the clownfish to pick a new spot to "hang out" at, which can sometimes result in them just noticing the anemone (this can also be done by taking the clowns out of the tank and letting them chill somewhere else in the bag while you change the rockscape, which might make them think they are in a new tank.

target feed the anemone(s) with brine or mysis to attract the clowns to the anemone location

overall, as others have said, patience is the best way to go with clowns and hosting. The sad part is, it is soo much better to get captive-bred clowns and yet captive-breds are more unlikely to host...its just the quandary of clown hosting nowadays