PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use pH pens?

iFisch
05/19/2009, 08:32 PM
Anyone using those digital pH pens to do measurements? Any CHEAP, accurate ones out there on the market?

I don't think cheap and accurate should belong in the same sentence, but... better to ask and know, then to never ask and never know. ;)

If so, what are you guys using?

unbreakable
05/20/2009, 05:47 AM
anyone reason you really want to test pH? Ive never measured it, i just make sure i keep my alk in the right levels along with my calcium and you should be okay

iFisch
05/20/2009, 07:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15043973#post15043973 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by unbreakable
anyone reason you really want to test pH? Ive never measured it, i just make sure i keep my alk in the right levels along with my calcium and you should be okay

Because I'm new to API test's kits, and will be switching over to Elos slowly.

I was hoping for an accurate easy way to read the pH whenever I wanted to. Just stick the pen/probe in the water and see the results.

I mean, pH should be tested, correct? Not sure why one wouldn't, when they have so much invested into this hobby.

drparker
05/20/2009, 10:21 AM
Even though I've got controllers with probes in my tanks there was no easy way to make sure I had the pH correct for fresh water dips without the handheld probe. I had a cheap one, not worth it. Get one that has two points of calibration. I've now got a Hanna unit for about $90 bucks. Make sure to get calibration solutions.

monotreme_man
05/20/2009, 10:44 AM
i researched this recently and after considering what is out there
and after chatting with randy holmes-farley, i settled on an
oakton phtestr 20 (just does ph but is temp compensated).
it cost about $90. i have been happy with it so far
(although i did spend a week trying to figure out why it
wasn't working; it turns out i was reading the ph as a temp!)