PDA

View Full Version : Koran Angel/Blue Hippo

CryptoFusion
05/20/2009, 06:54 AM
When I first got intot his hobby I, like many others, purchased a fish that looking back I probably shouldn't have. I bought a really small Koran Angel. At the time I had a FOWLR 55 gallon tank. The tank was never setup correctly to begin with - canister filter, shallow bed of coarse sand etc. To add to that I had a disaster (ask me sometime) that took away some of my enthusiasm and I got negligent with my water changes. The Angel developed a whitewashed face that I believe to be a symptom of HLLE. I also have a blue tang that seems to have this as well. All of my other fish are fine as I'm guessing they are just hardier fish.

A while back I decided that I need to either get out of the hobby or start from scratch and build a new tank the right way. So I'm currently setting up a 170 reef tank and it's going to have a DSB, refugium, etc. Everything a proper reef tank should have. So I'm wondering if with better water conditions, more room, stable salinity, stable PH, proper levels of nitrates and phosphates etc. will this Angel and Blue tang eventually return to form? I don't really like the thought of them being in my display tank in this condition but since I was the cause of this problem I'd kind of like to "right the wrong" and nurse them back to proper health and appearance. I've been adding selcon to their diet as it is and that will continue with the new tank. So can they recover in appearance? And if so - how long can I expect that to take? Has anyone ever had to deal with this before?

Thanks!

JHemdal
05/20/2009, 07:03 AM
CrytoFusion,

The answer is "it depends". The majority of people who see a resolution in HLLE do so after moving the fish to a new tank, so you got that going for you. However, in some cases, the scarring is so severe, that it never heals.

Here is a link to a survey I did on causes / remedies for HLLE:

http://microcosmaqx.typepad.com/jay_hemdal/2009/02/hlle-survey.html

Jay Hemdal

p.s. - ditch the canister filter on the new tank if you are running carbon in it....

CryptoFusion
05/20/2009, 07:04 AM
Thanks Jay. And yeah - the canister filter is most certainly going to be the first thing eliminated :-)