PDA

View Full Version : What do I need for an ACjr system?

DurTBear
05/20/2009, 01:46 PM
I'm in the market for a controller and I think I've decided to go with the ACjr for my needs. I plan to upgrade to the Apex one day but want to wait a while until I upgrade my tank as well. Anyway, I'm probably going to buy the ACjr package that includes the controller/faceplate, temp probe, serial port and DC-8. What other accessories do I need to purchase in addition to these so I will be up and running once I get everything? I'm just confused if the proper cables come with the packages sold (like the one on marinedepot.com).

This is what I have to control for my 20 gallon display plumbed into a 10 gallon frag tank:

2 150W Current USA Sunpod fixtures (I think they are about 2amps)
2 heaters (not sure on the wattage or amps right now but they're small)
3 Koralia 1's
1 Tunze 6025 nanostream
1 Coralife 24" T5 fixture (actinic lighting)
1 Coralife nano light fixture for my pseudo refugium
1 clip-on fan for temp control

I also plan to get a Tunze Osmolator for ATO and 2 Drew's dosing pumps to automate 2-part dosing. And if I could connect this to my computer to save the datalog, that would be great. Looks like I need to get another DC-8 but is there a need for a DC-4HD?

Thanks for any help guys!

RussM
05/20/2009, 04:37 PM
With that relatively light current load, there is no need for a DC4HD... each DC8 outlet will handle 6A, and 15A total for the whole unit.

I have 2 real concerns about using an ACjr and your setup:

1. The ACjr is limited to 40 lines of programming, which you could easily exceed with all those devices.... it would depend heavily on how fancy you wanted to get.

2. The ACjr also is limited to 12 outlets, so you would only be able to use half of a second DC8. But if you plan to upgrade to a more advanced Neptune controller later, you'd be able to fully use 2 DC8s. The cost difference between the DC4 and the DC8 is not that much, so buying a second DC8 would be a better investment, IMO.

You could KISS by combining powerheads on one or two outlets - either run all powerheads off the same outlet to conserve program space and DC8 outlets, or use two outlets with two powerheads each, which would afford some opportunity to get more control.

Same for the heaters... you could put both on one outlet.

As far as cables... do you want continuous connectivity from a PC in order to use AquaNotes or the ACtoWEB application? If so, be sure to get the ground isolation cable.

phuzzykins
05/20/2009, 06:02 PM
My only concern above and beyond what RussM raises would be that the 3 Koralias and 2 dosing pumps might each need a relay-controlled outlet on the DC8. My Koralia 1 definitely does not work with the triac controlled ports, and I'm not sure about the drew's doser pump.

Each DC8 only has two relay controlled outlets.

RussM
05/20/2009, 06:13 PM
Excellent additional points, PK! Standard Koralias don't do so well in an OSC config IME, so there would be reduced benefit from dedicating an outlet to each K1. But I think 2 K1s on one outlet might be enough of a load for reliable TRAIC operation.

DurTBear
05/20/2009, 06:34 PM
So are you saying you could put two heaters or two powerheads on one outlet by using an adapter of some sort?

What if I just waited for the Apex and just got one of those? I'm starting to get some feedback from my local club and it seems people are leaning towards that route.

RussM
05/20/2009, 06:41 PM
Yep... just use a multiple outlet tap... that's how I run my skimmer recirc and feed pumps... on one DC8 outlet....no point in wasting a valuable DC8 outlet - they both always need to turn on and off simultaneously anyway. You could double up your Sunpods too, if that fit your lighting concept & schedule.

With the equipment you have and have planned, I suspect that you could quickly find that you'd outgrown the ACjr. But IMO, that's a conclusion you have to derive yourself - it's not my place to tell you you gotta spend the extra $$$ ;) Since you asked.... I'd wait and get the APEX.

DurTBear
05/20/2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks Russ. You guys bring up good points about running multiple devices on one outlet. Don't know why I didn't think of that but that's why RC is so great!

I'm definitely starting to lean towards the APEX...