PDA

View Full Version : Flow Question

wuzup3
05/20/2009, 11:45 PM
I currently have a 28 nano mixed reef with acros, zoos and some softies. I upgraded to two 1200 Mag pumps instead of the stock pumps.

My question is what should I set the timer rate to? Is it better to alternate the 2 pumps every 10/20 seconds or every couple minutes. I've tried playing with it but cant decide what I like or if it makes a difference. Just wondering what everyone else does or thinks. Thanks in advance.

wuzup3
05/21/2009, 10:05 AM
Bump ^^^

IslandCrow
05/21/2009, 01:08 PM
I'm not very experienced on the matter, but if nothing else, I'll give you a free bump.

Maxijets (or Mag pumps if that's really what you meant) aren't designed for constant on-off operation, so you're probably going to beat the pump up quite a bit with a 10 or 20 second cycle time. The pumps designed to do this are variable rate pumps that never completely shut down between cycles. They just gradually ramp up or ramp down the RPM.

So, in short, I wouldn't have them cycle more than every couple of minutes.

rendogg
05/21/2009, 01:25 PM
What kind of wavemaker are you using? Red Sea? Maxi-Jets have been used for this application quite a bit in the past and can be used now as well. I would just play around with it and see for yourself what works best, there are no rules or formulas when it comes to customizing flow.;) IslandCrow is right, a couple minutes on each pump is more tolerable for the pumps.

wuzup3
05/21/2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I am using a Ocean Pulse duo. I changed the timer to alternate every 3 mins now and I'll see what happens. I think I am just going to add another pump to increase the flow around the tank.