PDA

View Full Version : Sump Tanks

Bob1
05/21/2009, 06:48 AM
Has anyone ever used a rubbermaid storage container as a sump basket? I was thinking along the lines to first use a sock strainer, coral rubble, then live rock, a container with live sand and plants and finally a skimmer and of course a return pump.

Thoughts?

Entropy
05/21/2009, 07:59 AM
Yeah it has been done plenty of times. The key is to make sure the container you chose is very stong (thick plastic) and not treated with anything (anti bacteria, or similar). What size are you thinking about?

I always though it might be cool to use an old cooler. Most are well insulated and plenty big enough for a sump. The drain plug on most would make me nervous though. :)

Entropy
05/21/2009, 08:10 AM
Just saw this thread (about half a page down). Good reading for you. :D

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1551665

Bob1
05/21/2009, 09:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15051119#post15051119 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Entropy
Yeah it has been done plenty of times. The key is to make sure the container you chose is very stong (thick plastic) and not treated with anything (anti bacteria, or similar). What size are you thinking about?

I always though it might be cool to use an old cooler. Most are well insulated and plenty big enough for a sump. The drain plug on most would make me nervous though. :)

I have a 50G tank, so I am unsure what size to go with. The size of the stand limits me.

Entropy
05/21/2009, 09:19 AM
How big a space do you have and are you limited to what you can fit through the front door of the stand or is it open?

Bob1
05/21/2009, 11:10 AM
I believe the stank is a little bigger then the tank itself maybe 37in. I could lower the sump in thru the top of the stand before I put the tank on the stand.