PDA

View Full Version : Lights, Timer, Action!

LakeGirl
05/21/2009, 03:20 PM
Ok, I've looked and looked at the newbie thread. I'm certain this question has been answered many times before, but I'm having trouble finding it!

How long should I be running the actinics? It seems I've read conflicting information on the topic. I recall reading that these produce necessary blue spectrum needed for coral, but should only be run for 2-4 hours per day max. Then, it seems another source implied that they are for viewer pleasure only. Then another might have said that they are nice for photography? Perhaps I am confusing a couple different things. Of course, the user manual only included information about how NOT to electrocute myself- appreciated, but somewhat self-explanatory- (knock on wood).

I've got the Corallife Power compact setup with lunar lights. I hope to one day host some "moderate-light" corals and a captive bred bubble tip anemone.

I receieved the Aquacontroller 3 for mother's day (woo-hoo), so I am happily programming the ideal setup!

Suggestions? Thank you.

drparker
05/21/2009, 03:31 PM
When I ran PCs only I had the Actinic on for 11.5 hours and the white on for 9.5. Now that I have a combo M.H. PC I run the PCs for 11hrs and the M.H. for 7hrs.

Sisterlimonpot
05/26/2009, 05:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15053598#post15053598 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drparker
When I ran PCs only I had the Actinic on for 11.5 hours and the white on for 9.5. Now that I have a combo M.H. PC I run the PCs for 11hrs and the M.H. for 7hrs. +1 I like the idea of simulating a dusk to dawn lighting period.

WaterKeeper
05/26/2009, 05:26 PM
Same here, I run the actinic an hour before and an hour after the daylight tubes go on and off.

LakeGirl
05/26/2009, 06:02 PM
Super- thanks everyone for your advice. I'm going to start with the actinics an hour before and after the PCs. Will begin with the PC's running for 7 hours a day. Nothing in there yet that actually needs light, but consistency will be good!

Can't wait to get more action into the tank, but so far am sticking to QT plan and conservative approach on inverts.

Meanwhile- Had some fun past couple nights with a serpent star. Once the lights were out and the lunars on, enticed him out of hiding with a small piece (about 1/2" x 2") of dried seaweed and garlic, anchored under a small rock. He LOVED it! Couldn't believe how many other snails and hermits began migrating towards it. Then, the emerald crab grabbed the whole piece and tried to run away with it. That stuff must smell really good.

WaterKeeper
05/26/2009, 07:15 PM
Try a uncooked slice of yellow squash and watch them go for it. Crabs love it and I figure that it adds some vitamin A to their diet.