PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on a T-5

reeefraf
05/21/2009, 06:17 PM
I have a 30 gallon tank and am looking to upgrade to a T-5 fixture and cannot decide which fixture is the best. I like the ATI alot, but do not want to hang the light. Next seems to be the Geismann, i think the T-5 is called the Refleex, which sells feet to mount it. But does anyone know if it has a fan or individual reflectors?? is this a good light? It is hard to find info about it.

After that seems to be the Aquatinic TX5, which from pictures look a little flimsly compared to the above mention two. And other forums say the par values are lower on this.

Last is the Tek. Fixture looks great and has legs. May people have and like it, but most seem to feel the need to hook up extra fans, which i dont want to deal with.

WHat is the best light for me to get that doesnt have to be hung? I appreciate the input!

Urchinhead
05/21/2009, 06:19 PM
Why not have someone who works with Acrylic or metal make you legs for the ATI? If you can afford the ATI then I would go with it. Per Grimreefer here its the best of the best.

reeefraf
05/21/2009, 06:36 PM
I would gladly pay extra for legs, just have no idea of how to go about getting them made.

Urchinhead
05/21/2009, 06:45 PM
I have the ATI and used custom light holder bars like on the Elos system (but ALLOT cheaper) to suspend it over the tank. They are attached to the stand. You could also do a DIY light bar using metal conduit and a conduit bender and hang it from that. Or you could take the basic design of the TEK feet and have someone do the same using acrylic or metal and retrofitting it to the ATI

hansmatt
05/21/2009, 08:16 PM
Hanging the fixture not only looks great, but it is much easier to get in and work with the tank.
ATI all the way!

reeefraf
05/21/2009, 08:51 PM
urchinhead, where did you buy the bracket you used, im intrigued...

ariel47
05/21/2009, 09:02 PM
I would like to know where to get them also.

divewsharks
05/22/2009, 02:19 AM
you can make it
here are a couple samples:

http://gallery.catacus.com/albums/album26/hanging_shelf.jpg
this is a ATI Sunpower

http://gallery.catacus.com/albums/album26/light_stand.jpg
These bars are attached to the back of the stand, you can also have them attach to the wall or create a weighted base so it sits on the floor.

jhoff
05/22/2009, 04:49 PM
Marine depot has hanging arm assembly part #CU01092 74.99 made by current..

Urchinhead
05/26/2009, 08:59 AM
I have two. One is 'professionally' done by a metal worker. The other I did myself. Its pretty straight forward. All you need is electrical conduit in a diameter that works for you and a conduit bender. Both can be had at Home Depot, Lowes, OSH for about $20ish or so total. If you are feeling the need you can also pick up some spray paint in the color of your choice to change the color of the bar from the mat silver color.

Cut the conduit to the height you want. Attach it to an optional base if you plan to have it free standing on the floor. Use the conduit bender to bend the conduit into the shape you desire. Drill a hole into the conduit where you will hang the light cables. Attach the cables with an eye bolt or something similar (I use a eye bolt that has a clip on it so I can take the light down when I need to) and you are good to go.