PDA

View Full Version : Moving HOB Fuge to Sump

socalchris
05/22/2009, 03:45 PM
Hi All,

I have an AC110 filter modded to be a fuge. There's Chaeto and some LR rubble in there. I want to move it down into my sump because I am getting light spill into my tank from it.

Here's my dilemma:

My sump has only a filter sock section where I also have some extra LR under the filter sock. Next chamber is my skimmer and some carbon, with a small partition with the return pump.

1. If I just stop using the filter sock and put the intake section of the fuge in that section, will I throw off any water chemistry from removing the filter sock?

2. I have a Mandarin Goby. My tank has been up for over a year, so I think there's enough pods in the display to not worry about him not getting enough food. Should I be worried?

3. Is it possible to keep mangroves in the same fuge as chaeto? I ordered some red mangroves just for fun and I'm not so sure where to put them.

Thanks guys!

Agu
05/22/2009, 07:57 PM
How big is the tank and how much flow is going through the sump ?

1)You'd lose the filtration of the sock. Would the skimmer fit in the first chamber instead ?

2 )Depends, How big is the tank?

3) You could until the mangroves grow out, then it would get kinda cramped in there. Realize a full grown mangrove is a 8 to 10 foot tall tree.

Aquarist007
05/22/2009, 09:43 PM
I doubt you need the sock--unless it is reducing micro bubbles from returning to the display tank.

2. same as Agu above
3. mangroves are such slow growing trees that they are not very effecient at reducing nitrates and phosphates. I would stick with the chaeto only
You will also need a light for the cheato if you move it to the sump.

socalchris
05/22/2009, 09:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15060824#post15060824 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Agu
How big is the tank and how much flow is going through the sump ?

1)You'd lose the filtration of the sock. Would the skimmer fit in the first chamber instead ?

2 )Depends, How big is the tank?

3) You could until the mangroves grow out, then it would get kinda cramped in there. Realize a full grown mangrove is a 8 to 10 foot tall tree.

I'm not sure how much flow is going through the sump. I have a 60gal tank with two 1.5" bulkheads and I'm using a Mag 9.5 return.

I think I might be able to fit the skimmer in the first chamber. Should I try moving it there and then putting the HOB in the second chamber?