PDA

View Full Version : 3' x 6' stand

madean
05/22/2009, 09:16 PM
I am in need of building a 3' wide by 6' long stand for two 3' by 3' frag tanks that are only 10" tall. I'm not sure how tall, i guess a will just need to custom build the height to suit me ergonomically. I am looking for ideas on bracing or if anyone could point me in the direction of drawings or have any drawings. I know the tank weight is not a lot, but i want to make sure there is no bowing or sagging. The tanks will be glass and i was also thinking of putting a foam mat under the tanks to help stabalize the bottom glass panel. any ideas or drawings or pics would be greatly appreciated.

uncleof6
05/24/2009, 09:48 AM
Madean: jim- i need to build a 6 x 3 x 3 stand to hold two 3 x 3 frag tanks a rough estimate show that that each frag tank will hold about 45 gallons. Should i really even worry about side loading of the stand. Knowing me the stand will be able to hold a small car by the time im done with it. I tend to over engineer. I thought the self leveling idead would work. Do you have any ideas or websites that or know of any build plans, diagrams that could point me in the right direction. Any info will be greatly appreciated. I actually started a thread and go no replies in it.
mike

Side loading is an issue with any stand, whether wood or steel. (side loading is force in a direction other than straight down) So if the stand is not level, the force is being applied other than straight down the legs if that makes sense. For you two frag tanks, you really don't need a specially designed stand for them, just rimless tanks need better bottom support, so top front to back supports would be in order. One in the middle, and then two others midway between the center and each end, (one on each side of center) top with plywood, foam, tanks. Build the stand square and plumb, and then level the stand to the floor, loading the stand straight down.

HTH,

Jim