PDA

View Full Version : General 180 gallon setup

MamiWata
05/23/2009, 06:18 AM
Hello, I currently have an 180 gallon tank project, though this would be the largest tank that I ever handled, the largest for me being 50-80 gallons.

I realize that I need a skimmer, a wavemaker, and pump(s) ( I'm not sure how many I need, i've seen people use five all at once )

I would like to know the order in which someone set up such a large tank, from the devices to the sand to the rocks/reef and the water itself, I just want everything to be as perfect as possible. ( Though knowing saltwater tanks, it would be hard as hell to )

sowellj
05/23/2009, 06:33 AM
It really depends on what you want to do. The requirements for an SPS tank vs. a mixed/softie tank vs. a fish only will vary. Generally speaking though, I wouldn't try and skimp a lot on equimpment ... i.e. don't get marginal stuff only to turn around and buy a replacement 6 months later.

acrouse
05/23/2009, 07:14 AM
Welcome to Reef Central!!

I agree with sowellj--put some money into your initial equipment. It will save you LOTS of money in the long run. For example when I first started--corals seemed to be intimidating, so I thought I only wanted FOWLR (fish only with live rock). So I spent the money on pumps and good lights (at the time). However, when I had gained more confidence running my tank(FOWLR), about 6-8 months into SW(saltwater) I decided I wanted to try a few corals. Started with basic easy corals. Which was awesome and I wanted more corals as time went on. Only to realize that now, I needed more water flow=larger pumps, better lights=lots of money to upgrade from PC (power compact) to T5 light fixture.

So I guess what I am trying to point out, is that within my first year of SW, I basically had to replace fairly new equipment that cost me a good chunk of change. Had I purchased the upgraded equipment from the start I would have not been out the initial investment of the equipment to run FOWLR. If you think you ever might try corals, buy the correct lighting, skimmer, and pumps now at start up. Especially the lighting, it was the greatest cost to upgrade.

Good Luck jolene

MamiWata
05/23/2009, 07:33 AM
My aim is to have live rock and lionfish, ( I've had volitans lionfish together in the same tank and was successful, I figure an 180 gallon would hold 3 )

I'm not planning to skimp on one thing, this is going to take months for me to plan. I'm figuring around 1,500 to 2,000 for this, though I'm pretty sure that I'm going to stay with live rock.

acrouse
05/23/2009, 07:35 AM
As far as set up. One of the first steps:Decide how you want your tank and sump set up (connected). Decide if you want your tank to be drilled for the overflow, or hang on back box with a U tube. If you want your tank drilled, obviously it will need to be done before anything can be added.

I would also suggest you go to the forum here on RC-Large Reef Tanks. You can read alot about how others set up their larger tanks, see some diagrams, read about equipment used for larger tanks, get some ideas for various set ups. Really helped me out when I started my 180.

hope this helps
jolene

snorvich
05/23/2009, 07:46 AM
Good advice so far. Lionfish are reef safe (although not fish safe), so you could have corals (but no fish) if you were inclined.

MamiWata
05/23/2009, 08:01 AM
Thankyou for all your advice! I've always been partial to predators, eels, lions, sharks... , including two ball pythons and a Central American boa, this will be one of my most challenging projects projects ever. :D

MamiWata
05/23/2009, 08:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15062856#post15062856 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MamiWata
Thankyou for all your advice! I've always been partial to predators, eels, lions, sharks... , including two ball pythons and a Central American boa, this will be one of my most challenging projects projects ever. :D

-projects...