PDA

View Full Version : nano cube advice (HQI vs. CF)

dlaxer24
05/23/2009, 09:27 AM
I was thinking about getting a jbj 28g cf quad nano cube (105w) + stand + chiller deal at my lfs for 599 on sale. For the same cost I can get a jbj 28g HQI nano cube(150w) + stand but with out chiller. I feel that the tank, stand, and chiller is a good deal to pass up.

Will I need the chiller for the cf quad in a temp controlled house? I assume with the HQI I would need the chiller?

For those of you with cf does the lighting keep you and your animals happy?

Thanks,
Pat

FavaBean
05/23/2009, 10:09 AM
i have a 6 gallon nano.... i am happy with it... i have the 54 watt upgrade from nanocustoms... it has been running since jan. I am happy with the look and the corals are all doing great... i have only had one problem and that was xenia... which we all know can be picky.... I even notice some shimmer lines but not as nice as mh... i think if you keep your house over 80 then a chiller would be helpful... or you could just get a chiller with the hqi... keep us posted...

dustinc
05/23/2009, 12:50 PM
I used to have the 28 with the 150 watt hqi and never needed a chiller, but my temperatures in my house never got over 72. I put the Azoo 2 fan unit on the back pointed at the filter compartment and it did wonders. My tank never got over 79.

ScottBev
05/23/2009, 05:52 PM
Unless your tank location isn't air conditioned, I don't think that a chiller is necessary. I'd recommend going with the 150w hqi over the cf. You may need to consider dustinc's recommendation of the fan unit. I run 70w mh without temp issues, but the tanks are open topped.

E.intheC
05/25/2009, 01:01 PM
T-5's are another option as well.

SlvrSurfRidr
05/28/2009, 10:47 AM
T-5 on a JBJ 28? That's one I haven't seen pulled off. I've got the 28 HQI - azoos might work for you as long as you have a pretty cool ambient air temp. My apt doesn't have AC and it regularly gets up to 85 in the place. If you get a chiller the 1/10 JBJ Titanium is a great option