PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the silicone residue left over on glass

jb61264
05/23/2009, 10:20 AM
I got a little messy in a couple spots on my sump that I was siliconing in and scrapped some of it off with a razor blade, but now there is a leftover residue that is still there...what can I use to clean this off?

xJake
05/23/2009, 10:57 AM
Acetone (nail polish remover, or pvc pipe cleaner) or isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) will help to soften it a bit, and then a fresh razorblade should be able to take the rest right off. You could also try a plastic scrubbing pad along with the solvent to help scrub it off.

uncleof6
05/23/2009, 11:06 AM
Ever notice the "vinegar" smell of silicone? White vinegar will cut through it, and a rag will clean it up. :rolleyes:

Jim

xJake
05/23/2009, 11:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15063604#post15063604 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by uncleof6
Ever notice the "vinegar" smell of silicone? White vinegar will cut through it, and a rag will clean it up. :rolleyes:

Jim

It's true they use acetic acid as a solvent in silicone, but I truly don't think that such a dilute version like vinegar will have much of an effect. I could be mistaken, but it just doesn't seem like vinegar would be potent enough.

JaredWaites
05/23/2009, 12:55 PM
Boil the vinegar make it stronger?

coralfragger101
05/23/2009, 01:03 PM
A wire brush stuck in the end of a drill.

Works every time.

No elbow grease needed and does not scratch the glass.

JaredWaites
05/23/2009, 01:24 PM
You could also use a fine grade stainless steel wool, a brand from Home Depot will suffice. Get stainless preferably.

uncleof6
05/23/2009, 11:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15063680#post15063680 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xJake
It's true they use acetic acid as a solvent in silicone, but I truly don't think that such a dilute version like vinegar will have much of an effect. I could be mistaken, but it just doesn't seem like vinegar would be potent enough.

You are probably right, but the white vinegar cleans up the mess as it is curing................ subtle message, but thoughtful.

Jim

therealfatman
05/24/2009, 08:41 AM
I a razor blade, followed by a white scrub pad made by 3M and either alcohol, or acetone, and paper towels.

Vladnyc
05/24/2009, 11:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15063565#post15063565 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xJake
isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) will help to soften it a bit, and then a fresh razorblade should be able to take the rest right off.

This is the way i did it when i found out that the silicone i used for a sump i built was toxic.

anen
06/28/2010, 09:55 PM
I'm bringing this back from the dead to add my two cents. I had a horrible experience with Tunze silicone that wouldn't cure and it made a mess all over my brand new tank. I had an extremely hard time getting it out. What I found to be very helpful that has not been mentioned on any of the threads I have read here is waffle weave microfiber cloths. For the filmy oily residue I found it really didn't matter whether I used IPA acetone or whatever, but a solvent and a microfiber together got most of it out.

uncleof6
06/28/2010, 10:20 PM
I'm bringing this back from the dead to add my two cents. I had a horrible experience with Tunze silicone that wouldn't cure and it made a mess all over my brand new tank. I had an extremely hard time getting it out. What I found to be very helpful that has not been mentioned on any of the threads I have read here is waffle weave microfiber cloths. For the filmy oily residue I found it really didn't matter whether I used IPA acetone or whatever, but a solvent and a microfiber together got most of it out.

MEK works much better than acetone, and is recommended by the silicone manufacturers, but some are afraid of it. Most of it out, is not good enough, it has to ALL be out, or you will be fighting problems down the road. Steel wool is going to work best. I have tried almost everything, never even considered microfiber. It does not really matter what you use, getting all the silicone residue out is going to be hard work. Comes with the territory.

Sounds to me like you got a hold of an expired tube of silicone. Makes a big mess. Always check the batch numbers, especially if purchasing from an LFS. Even Grainger has been putting out some expired silicone, it seems.

Jim

anen
06/28/2010, 10:29 PM
I tried steel wool, didn't do anything for me. I also tried a wire brush didn't help either, and I managed to scratch up my tank trim =(. I think if the residue was thicker yes it would help. In the end I forget which solvent worked the best, I tried everything. I actually think lemon helped a lot. I forgot because the solvent wasn't the issue, it was picking the residue up off the glass. I found razor blades to be extremely tedious, and even when you scrape it to a corner, getting it out the corner became a task.

I also like to detail my car, and decided to try out the microfiber and it was excellent! Microfiber is like thousands of little squeejees.

spieg
06/29/2010, 12:24 AM
Scotch brite pads worked pretty good for me.

me e
08/22/2016, 10:57 AM
I'm a woodworker and tried a 3/4 bench chisel. Worked better than anything I've tried. I could get a lot of downward pressure and cut right to the glass in one or two passes. With a piece of 600 grit sandpaper to remove the bur on the chisel just laid right on the glass for a flat surface, it took maybe 20 mins to clean 4 pieces of glass.

fishgasm
08/26/2016, 04:03 AM
Chisel and any sharp tools can scratch the glass if not used properly. All are not expert in handling those tools.

Oxalic acid, comes in powdered form. It's very mild acid, all you have to do is wet it and leave it overnight on those silicone stains. It would then easily peel of silicone without much hassle. By far the easiest way what we are using since a decade.

uncleof6
08/26/2016, 04:40 PM
Well, there is a reason that building/rebuilding tanks is a chore....