PDA

View Full Version : Turbo snails in keys?

sid123456
05/24/2009, 04:15 PM
Anyone ever dive for turbo snails in the Keys? I'm heading down in Aug. and would like to bring some back. I don't really like paying $1 each for them. Where are they found?

jdhuyvetter
05/28/2009, 11:05 AM
Not too many turbo snails. Lots of Astrea snails in the grass flats.

Make sure you have a valid saltwater fishing license and follow the regs. Many areas are restricted and collecting is not allowed.

fishome25
05/29/2009, 05:15 AM
unfortunetly it would cost more to collect your own. it stinks. the license was $37 for 7 days. come aug you will only be able to collect 5 a day. so if you get 5 for 7 days....

jdhuyvetter
05/29/2009, 06:37 AM
Actually, the new regs are effective July 1 (at least on the commercial side).

The current regs still restrict you to 20/day. and that is an aggregate of all inverts.

Still, I'd rather get my own! More fun that way. (It help living in Florida). When I lived in Atlanta, I saw a flame scallop in a store on sale. My buddy asked me if I was going to get it since I had just lost mine after having him for 2 years. I said no, I was going to go get my own. He said "You would spend $200-$300 in gas to drive all the way to the Keys for a weekend to get a flame scallop that you could get now for $9" I said "Yes". We left the next weekend......obviously, gas was cheaper then.

Oh well, I'm off to the Keys this weekend too.

fishome25
05/29/2009, 10:47 AM
yea current regs are 20. but in aug the new regs are in effect. i agree, i drove down there from ny to collect my own stuff. i didn't save any money, but i had a lot of fun doing it. I'm just saying he's not going to save money collecting his own. unless you live in Fl.